Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical waves

Tags:
  1. Jan 11, 2015 #1
    What are the essential properties of the medium for the propogation of mechanical waves?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there
    welcome to PF :)

a mechanical wave is a sound wave

so before I tell you
    tell me what you know about sound waves and what they can propagate through ?

Dave

4. Jan 11, 2015 #3
    Sound waves can propgate through solids, liquids and gases. I think one should say that sound waves are mechanical waves and not vice versa because mechanical waves are general and sound waves are specific.

5. Jan 11, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are one in the same a mechanical action for example .... striking a hammer on metal produces a sound wave
    .... the mechanical action of the vibration of your vocal cords causes a sound wave

I don't think I could name a sound wave that isn't caused by a mechanical action

Dave

6. Jan 11, 2015 #5
    I believe the short answer to the OP question is: Hooke's Law.
    No matter what the medium is, if you have a situation where distention increases the counter-force in a linear fashion, you will have a medium that allows wave propagation.

7. Jan 12, 2015 #6
    Mechanical waves are energy propagations across a structure through compression and stretching of the connected molecules making up the structure. The actual wave traveling is just the part of the structure that's currently reacting to the forces in order of next touching molecule and not the structure itself being moved

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook