Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical waves

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    This is a question about mechanical waves. As i understand it, there can be many different types of mechanical waves, but its is not allways necessary to actually make a physically motion of one harmonic oscillator (a partical, or a part of the medium that the mechanic waves travels throw) to start or hinder a mechanical wave. The force spreads throw the medium even if the physical motion of the harmonic oscillators is somehow hinderd. And the physical motion of the mechanical wave will come back once the obstacle have been passed. Let my me try to further explain what i mean with a picture
    !-----! -> this is the wave moving in the direction of the arrow
    ___! !______0000000000________ the zeros 000 are obstacles

!----- -! -> this is what will happen
    ___0000000__ __! !______

Am i right? And why does this happen? Is it because the force or power traveling throw the medium treavels between the atoms and molecules of the harmonic oscillators once the actuall motion of the oscillators in not possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2
    Come on, answer please. If you dont understand what i mean with the question, dont hesitate to ask me to be more precise! The question is again: Can a mechanical wave travel through some kind of physical abstacle that temporerly stops the physical movment of the wave to resume its motion again after it has passed through that abstacle?

I think the ansewer to that question is yes. It it couldnt it wouldnt be possible for smal mechanical waves to pass eatch other without chaning apperance. I also want to know exacly how this happens. How can power or force travel through the medium when the harmonic oscillators are unable to move? Does it travel through the medium by affecting the atoms and the molecules of the oscillator that then affect eatch other? Im wainting anxiously for your response.
    Best regards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?