Mechanics 1 Help: Solve Questions on Bead Equilibrium

• Thread starter CathyLou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation includes someone seeking help with Mechanics 1 questions involving a smooth bead on a light inextensible string attached to two fixed points. The person is able to find the tension in the string and understand how to do so, but is unsure about finding the weight of the bead. With the help of someone else, they are able to resolve the forces and find the correct answer.
CathyLou
[SOLVED] Mechanics 1 help

Hi.

Could someone please help me with the following M1 level questions?

A smooth bead B is threaded on a light inextensible string. The ends of the string are attached to two fixed points A and C on the same horizontal level. The bead is held in equilibrium by a horizontal force of magnitude 6 N acting parallel to AC. The bead B is vertically below C and angle BAC = x. tan x = 3/4.

(a) Find the tension in the string.

I drew a diagram and wrote down:

Resolving horizontally:

6 - Tsinx = 0

sin x = 3/5 so T = 10 N.

However, the answer should be 7.5 N. This means that I should be using cos x but I do not understand why this is the case.

(b) Find the weight of the bead.

Would I need to resolve vertically here? If yes, could someone please help me to form the resulting equation.

I would really appreciate any help as I am really stuck at the moment.

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a), I'm assuming that you've either drawn or are given a diagram. If your diagram is set up correctly, the tension should be acting along the hypotenuse (BA) of a right angled triangle from B to A and the angle x should be the angle between the hypotenuse and the side AC. Now, you need to find the horizontal component of the tension, and this component acts parallel to the line CA which is adjacent to the angle x.

Does that make sense?

Hootenanny said:
For part (a), I'm assuming that you've either drawn or are given a diagram. If your diagram is set up correctly, the tension should be acting along the hypotenuse (BA) of a right angled triangle from B to A and the angle x should be the angle between the hypotenuse and the side AC. Now, you need to find the horizontal component of the tension, and this component acts parallel to the line CA which is adjacent to the angle x.

Does that make sense?

Hi.

Thank you for your help! I understand how to do part (a) now.

Could you please help with (b) also?

Cathy

CathyLou said:
Hi.

Thank you for your help! I understand how to do part (a) now.

Could you please help with (b) also?

Cathy
For (b), yes you have to resolve the forces vertically and you know that since the bead is in equilibrium the sum of these forces must be zero. So, what forces are acting on the bead? (Be careful with the tension)

Hootenanny said:
For (b), yes you have to resolve the forces vertically and you know that since the bead is in equilibrium the sum of these forces must be zero. So, what forces are acting on the bead? (Be careful with the tension)

I have worked out the correct answer now. Thank you so much for your help!

Cathy

CathyLou said:
I have worked out the correct answer now. Thank you so much for your help!

Cathy
A pleasure :smile:

What is Mechanics 1?

Mechanics 1 is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces on objects.

What is Bead Equilibrium?

Bead equilibrium is a concept in mechanics where the forces acting on a bead or particle are balanced, resulting in no net force or movement.

How do I solve questions on Bead Equilibrium?

To solve questions on bead equilibrium, you will need to use the principles of Newton's laws of motion, vector addition, and free-body diagrams to analyze the forces acting on the bead and determine the equilibrium conditions.

What are some common types of questions about Bead Equilibrium?

Common types of questions about bead equilibrium include determining the tension in a string, the angle of inclination of a string, and the forces acting on a bead in various scenarios.

What are some tips for solving Bead Equilibrium questions?

Some tips for solving bead equilibrium questions include drawing clear and accurate free-body diagrams, setting up equations using Newton's laws of motion, and carefully considering the direction and magnitude of forces. It is also helpful to practice with different scenarios to gain a better understanding of the concept.