Mechanics, acceptable method?

In summary, the problem involves a ball being dropped from a building and bouncing back up with a loss of 10% of its kinetic energy each time it hits the ground. To determine how many bounces can happen and still reach a height of 2.44m above the ground, the equations mgh = 1/2mv^2 and xn = ar^n-1 are used. This can be solved using trial and error or by constructing a geometric series with r = 0.9. Another method is to consider that every two bounces is 0.81 and every three bounces is 0.729.
BOAS

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from rest from the top of a 6.10m building, falls straight down, collides inelastically with the ground and bounces back. The ball loses 10% of it's K.E every time it hits the ground. How many bounces can happen and the ball still reach a height of 2.44m above the ground.

Homework Equations

mgh = 1/2 mv2

xn = arn-1 (finding a term in a geometric series)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can come to an answer easily enough using the two equations stated above and the ideas of gravitational P.E being converted to K.E (so mass cancels out) and constructing a geometric series that uses r = 0.9 to accommodate the energy loss.

I have to essentially just guess terms until I'm in the right region and then increase or decrease my term until I reach the right answer. This seems somewhat messy to me, using trial and error.

Is there a cleaner method, that will use the information of the final height I need it to reach?

I'm just curious,

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
##x_n=ar^{n-1}##
##r^{n-1}=x_n/a##
##(n-1)logr=log x_n-loga##

Enigman said:
##x_n=ar^{n-1}##
##r^{n-1}=x_n/a##
##(n-1)logr=log x_n-loga##

Ahh, thank you!

[tex]x_n=x_0r^n[/tex] But, it's much easier just to do 1 bounce at a time. It couldn't take more than about 10 bounces with r = .9. Or, do it using: every two bounces is 0.81, every 3 bounces is 0.729.

I would suggest the following method to solve this problem:

First, we need to determine the initial velocity of the ball before it hits the ground for the first time. This can be done using the conservation of energy equation, where the potential energy at the top of the building is equal to the kinetic energy just before the first bounce. We can then use this initial velocity to calculate the maximum height the ball will reach after the first bounce.

Next, we can use the geometric series equation xn = arn-1 to find the number of bounces needed for the ball to reach a height of 2.44m above the ground. We know the initial height and the common ratio (0.9) and we can solve for the number of terms (bounces) needed.

Alternatively, we can also use the equation for the sum of a geometric series Sn = a(1-rn)/(1-r) to directly calculate the number of bounces needed to reach a certain height.

Both of these methods are more efficient and systematic than guessing and checking. They also take into account the final height we need the ball to reach, making the solution more accurate.

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that act upon objects.

2. What are the different types of mechanics?

There are three main types of mechanics: statics, dynamics, and kinematics. Statics deals with the study of objects at rest, dynamics deals with the study of objects in motion, and kinematics deals with the study of the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

3. What is an acceptable method in mechanics?

An acceptable method in mechanics is a systematic approach to solving problems and analyzing physical systems. It involves breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts and applying fundamental principles and equations to solve for unknowns.

4. What are the basic principles of mechanics?

The basic principles of mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the law of conservation of momentum. These principles help explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

5. How is mechanics applied in real-life situations?

Mechanics is applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to design structures, machines, and vehicles, as well as analyze and understand the motion of celestial bodies. It is also used in everyday situations, such as driving a car or throwing a ball.