1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics, acceptable method?

1. Nov 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is dropped from rest from the top of a 6.10m building, falls straight down, collides inelastically with the ground and bounces back. The ball loses 10% of it's K.E every time it hits the ground. How many bounces can happen and the ball still reach a height of 2.44m above the ground.

2. Relevant equations

mgh = 1/2 mv2

xn = arn-1 (finding a term in a geometric series)

3. The attempt at a solution

I can come to an answer easily enough using the two equations stated above and the ideas of gravitational P.E being converted to K.E (so mass cancels out) and constructing a geometric series that uses r = 0.9 to accommodate the energy loss.

I have to essentially just guess terms until i'm in the right region and then increase or decrease my term until I reach the right answer. This seems somewhat messy to me, using trial and error.

Is there a cleaner method, that will use the information of the final height I need it to reach?

I'm just curious,

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2013 #2
    ##x_n=ar^{n-1}##
    ##r^{n-1}=x_n/a##
    ##(n-1)logr=log x_n-loga##

4. Nov 24, 2013 #3
    Ahh, thank you!

5. Nov 24, 2013 #4
    [tex]x_n=x_0r^n[/tex] But, it's much easier just to do 1 bounce at a time. It couldn't take more than about 10 bounces with r = .9. Or, do it using: every two bounces is 0.81, every 3 bounces is 0.729.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted