Mechanics application problem

In summary, the problem asks for the force exerted by the ligaments holding an athlete's forearm to her elbow when she throws a javelin. The forearm experiences an angular displacement of ¼ radians in 0.20 seconds, with a constant speed and a combined mass of 2.0 kg. Assuming a simplified system, the force can be calculated using the centripetal acceleration equation.
luysion

Homework Statement

When an athlete
throws a javelin her forearm snaps through an angle of
approximately ¼ radians in 0.20 s. The athlete’s hand moves
with approximately constant speed, the length of her forearm
is 45 cm, and the combined mass of her forearm and javelin
is 2.0 kg. Assuming that the system is well approximated by
a mass of 2.0 kg located 45 cm from the pivot, what force do
the ligaments holding the forearm to the elbow need to exert?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im getting lost, I can't interpret the question easily. I really have no idea how to do this.
I can picture some sort of lever mechanism but other than that, I am confused as to what to do with the angular displacement value and the time period value theyve given us.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks more like a centripetal force problem to me, unless I am reading it wrong. I am no biology expert, but I believe the ligaments are attaching the forearm with the elbow so it will experience a force due to the circular motion of the javelin. You will need to calculate this force based on what you know about centripetal acceleration.

1. What is a Mechanics application problem?

A Mechanics application problem is a type of problem in physics that involves the application of Newton's laws and other principles of mechanics to solve real-world scenarios. These problems typically involve the motion of objects and the forces acting upon them.

2. How do I approach solving a Mechanics application problem?

To solve a Mechanics application problem, you should first identify the given information and what is being asked in the problem. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles to set up and solve the problem. It is also important to draw a clear and accurate diagram to aid in understanding the problem and visualizing the solution.

3. What are some common types of Mechanics application problems?

Some common types of Mechanics application problems include projectile motion, friction, pulleys, and collisions. These problems can involve a single object or multiple objects interacting with each other.

4. Can I use calculus to solve Mechanics application problems?

Yes, calculus is often used to solve more complex Mechanics application problems. It is particularly useful in problems involving acceleration, velocity, and position as a function of time.

5. How can I check my answer for a Mechanics application problem?

You can check your answer by substituting your solution back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all of the given conditions. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and units to ensure they are correct.