Mechanics: box on conveyer belt

In summary, a cubical block with small feet attached to its base is initially placed on a rough conveyor belt at rest. When the belt starts moving to the right with acceleration \ a , the block remains at rest and its centre of mass is at a height \ h above the belt. The real forces on the block are the normal reactions of the front and back feet, the weight of the block acting down from the centre of mass, and the friction between the feet and the ground. To consider the block in equilibrium in its own frame of reference, a fictitious force of -Ma is introduced. The normal reaction on the front feet is determined to be zero when \ a = \frac{g}{2} and the normal reaction on the
orochimaru

Homework Statement

A cubical block of mass [tex]\ M [/tex] and side length [tex]\ L [/tex] with small feet attached to the 4 corners of its base is placed on a rough conveyer belt initially at rest. The centre of mass of the box is midway between the front and rear feet and is a height [tex]\ h [/tex] above the belt. The conveyer belt then moves to the right with acceleration [tex]\ a [/tex] , the box remaining at rest relative to the belt.
Indicate the real forces on the box. Also indicate the ficticious force which when introduced allows you to consider the box to be in equilibrium in its own frame of reference.
Determine the normal reaction on the front feet [tex]\ A [/tex] and back feet [tex]\ B [/tex] . Hence, determine the value of [tex]\ a [/tex] for which the normal reaction on the front feet is zero.
What happens to the box if this value of [tex]\ a [/tex] is exceeded?

Homework Equations

moment of force = F x r

Newton's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this needs a diagram really. Is there any way I can put one here?

Anyway, the real forces are
1/ normal reaction of front feet
2/ normal reaction of back feet
3/ Mg acting down from centre of mass
4/ Friction between front and back feet and the ground.

The ficticious force is

[tex] -Ma [/tex]

I'm a bit confused which way the friction acts and its magnitude

would it be [tex]\frac{\mu Mg}{2} [/tex] the thing is they don't give the co-efficient of friction in the question

I think the solution is to take moments about a point and since it is in equilibrium the resultant moment should be 0 but wherever I take moments I seem to eliminate [tex] a [/tex] or the normal reaction from the equation.

Help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to first explain why the normal force on the front feet would be zero. (Note: It has nothing to do with the coefficient of static friction).

Think of the belt applying a force to the block at a distance h below the centre of mass. What is the effect of that on the normal force on the front and rear feet?

AM

thanks for the reply. ok, i think i get what you are saying.

we have resolving vertically: [tex]\ Mg = N_A + N_B [/tex] (1)

and taking moments clockwise about the centre of mass

[tex]\ Mah + \frac{N_{A}L}{2} = \frac{N_{B}L}{2} [/tex] (2)

If I approximate [tex]\frac{L}{2} = h [/tex] because the feet are small
then using equation (1) to substitute for [tex]\ N_{A} [/tex] then [tex]\ N_{B} [/tex] in (2) i get

[tex]\ N_{A} = \frac{Mg - 2Ma}{2} [/tex] and

[tex]\ N_{B} = \frac{Mg + 2Ma}{2} [/tex]

thus when [tex]\ N_{A} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\ a = \frac{g}{2} [/tex]

is this correct?

and if the value of [tex]\ a [/tex] is exceeded the box falls over backwards?

Last edited:
orochimaru said:
thanks for the reply. ok, i think i get what you are saying.

we have resolving vertically: [tex]\ Mg = N_A + N_B [/tex] (1)

and taking moments clockwise about the centre of mass

[tex]\ Mah + \frac{N_{A}L}{2} = \frac{N_{B}L}{2} [/tex] (2)

If I approximate [tex]\frac{L}{2} = h [/tex] because the feet are small
then using equation (1) to substitute for [tex]\ N_{A} [/tex] then [tex]\ N_{B} [/tex] in (2) i get

[tex]\ N_{A} = \frac{Mg - 2Ma}{2} [/tex] and

[tex]\ N_{B} = \frac{Mg + 2Ma}{2} [/tex]

thus when [tex]\ N_{A} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\ a = \frac{g}{2} [/tex]

is this correct?

and if the value of [tex]\ a [/tex] is exceeded the box falls over backwards?

Looks right. The clockwise torque is Mah. If the normal force on the front feet is 0 then the normal force on the rear is Mg and the counter-clockwise torque is MgL/2. If the total torque is 0, then:

Mg L/2 + Mah = 0 so a = gL/2h

AM

1. What is the relationship between the box and the conveyer belt in mechanics?

The box on a conveyer belt is an example of a system in motion. The box is being acted upon by external forces, such as gravity and the friction from the conveyer belt, which cause it to move and change its state of motion.

2. How do the forces on the box and conveyer belt affect the box's motion?

The forces acting on the box and conveyer belt affect the box's motion through Newton's laws of motion. The force of gravity pulls the box towards the ground, while the force of friction from the conveyer belt acts in the opposite direction. These forces determine the acceleration and velocity of the box on the conveyer belt.

3. Can the box's motion on the conveyer belt be described using equations?

Yes, the box's motion on the conveyer belt can be described using equations such as Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Other equations, such as those for calculating friction and velocity, can also be used to describe the box's motion on the conveyer belt.

4. How does the incline of the conveyer belt affect the box's motion?

The incline of the conveyer belt affects the box's motion by changing the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on it. A steeper incline will result in a greater force of gravity pulling the box downwards, while a flatter incline will result in a lower force of gravity. This can impact the box's acceleration and speed on the conveyer belt.

5. Are there any real-world applications of studying the mechanics of a box on a conveyer belt?

Yes, understanding the mechanics of a box on a conveyer belt has real-world applications in industries such as manufacturing and logistics. By understanding the forces and motion of objects on conveyer belts, engineers can design more efficient systems for moving and sorting items, leading to increased productivity and cost savings.