1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics Bullet Problem

1. Nov 24, 2004 #1
    For some reason, I'm having trouble getting started on this problem:

A bullet of mass [tex]m[/tex] is fired from a gun of mass [tex]M[/tex]. If the gun can recoil freely and the muzzle velocity of the bullet (velocity relative to the gun as it leaves the barrel) is [tex]v_{0}[/tex], show that the actual velocity of the bullet relative to the ground is [tex]\frac{v_{0}}{1+\gamma} [/tex] and the recoil velocity of the gun is [tex]\frac{- \gamma v_{0} }{1+\gamma}[/tex], where [tex]\gamma = m/M[/tex]

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it! It seems that it should be solvable using conservation of linear momentum, but the relative velocity part is throwing me off.

Thanks in advance,

zoetrope

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

The velocities are related as follows: velocity of bullet w.r.t ground = velocity of bullet w.r.t gun + velocity of gun w.r.t ground.

Express this mathematically and apply conservation of momentum from an inertial frame (the ground).

4. Nov 24, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the help! I guess I was just thinking too much about the problem and had made it more complex than it needed to be!

zoetrope

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?