1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics (chain rule)

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

6. A particle of mass m moves along a frictionless, horizontal plane with a speed given by

v(x) = α / x. Where x is the distance of the object from the origin and α is a constant.

Working with F = ma, we want to get the acceleration. You have v = v(x). You want a = dv/dt. Find (dv/dx)(dx/dt). Find the force F(x) to which the particle is subjected to.

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess my problem is I dont understand why I need to use chain rule since v = dx/dt. I thought I could take the derivative in respect to t on both sides, and get dv/dt = - α / x^2, then multiply both sides by m to get the force equation.

the answer is given, -m α^2/ x^3. So can someone explain what I'm missing here....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to use the chain rule because x is some function of t. What you have done above is find dv/dx. Now you have correctly identified dx/dt as v and you know v = a/x, so what is (dv/dx)*(dx/dt)?

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    wow awesome thanks that clears up a lot. I almost gave up on anyone answering me. I read that there was a way to close a thread or say that the problem is solved but I'm not seeing it on here so I guess'll have to leave it as is.

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The forum software was upgraded recently and I think only mentors can mark it solved at the minute. Just leave it as it is for now. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?