Understanding the Chain Rule in Mechanics: Solving for Acceleration and Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle of mass m moving along a frictionless, horizontal plane with a speed given by v(x) = α/x. The goal is to find the acceleration and force equation using F=ma and the chain rule. The correct force equation is found to be -mα^2/x^3.
AshesToFeonix

Homework Statement

6. A particle of mass m moves along a frictionless, horizontal plane with a speed given by

v(x) = α / x. Where x is the distance of the object from the origin and α is a constant.

Working with F = ma, we want to get the acceleration. You have v = v(x). You want a = dv/dt. Find (dv/dx)(dx/dt). Find the force F(x) to which the particle is subjected to.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess my problem is I don't understand why I need to use chain rule since v = dx/dt. I thought I could take the derivative in respect to t on both sides, and get dv/dt = - α / x^2, then multiply both sides by m to get the force equation.

the answer is given, -m α^2/ x^3. So can someone explain what I'm missing here...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the chain rule because x is some function of t. What you have done above is find dv/dx. Now you have correctly identified dx/dt as v and you know v = a/x, so what is (dv/dx)*(dx/dt)?

wow awesome thanks that clears up a lot. I almost gave up on anyone answering me. I read that there was a way to close a thread or say that the problem is solved but I'm not seeing it on here so I guess'll have to leave it as is.

The forum software was upgraded recently and I think only mentors can mark it solved at the minute. Just leave it as it is for now. :smile:

1. What is the chain rule in mechanics?

The chain rule in mechanics is a mathematical concept that describes how to calculate the derivative of a composite function. It is used to find the rate of change of a quantity that depends on another quantity that is itself changing.

2. Why is the chain rule important in mechanics?

The chain rule is important in mechanics because it allows us to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a quantity that is dependent on another quantity that is changing. This is especially useful in analyzing the motion of objects in physics and engineering.

3. How do you apply the chain rule in mechanics?

To apply the chain rule in mechanics, you must first identify the composite function and then use the rule to find its derivative. This involves taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function.

4. What is an example of using the chain rule in mechanics?

An example of using the chain rule in mechanics is when calculating the acceleration of an object that is moving in a curved path. The acceleration is dependent on the object's velocity, which is itself dependent on the object's position. By using the chain rule, we can find the acceleration as a function of the position.

5. Are there any limitations to using the chain rule in mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to using the chain rule in mechanics. It can only be used for functions that are differentiable, and it may become more complicated when dealing with higher order derivatives. Additionally, it may not be applicable in certain situations where the function is discontinuous or undefined.