1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics - Collisions

1. Jan 14, 2015 #1
    A particle with mass m is at rest. A second one, identical to the last one hits the first one. Show that in the case of a perfectly elastic collision (Q=0) the directions of the two particles make a right angle.

You can't assume that both final velocities will be equal. Here's what I've got from using: 1. the conservation of linear momentum. 2. The conservation of kinetic energy (Q=0). 3. Scalar product between the initial velocities.

v=u1cosα + u2 cosβ
    u1 sinα = u2 sinβ
    v2=u12 + u22
    cos(α+β)=(u12 cosα cosβ + u22 sinα sinβ) / (u1 u2)

And hell, I really can't solve this system...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You haven't defined the variables you used. You didn't say how you established the coordinate system. If you are going to portray a collision in 3-dimensions as 2-dimensional problem, you should say why this is possible.

4. Jan 14, 2015 #3
    OK. That's my bad, I'm sorry. We're in 2 dimensions.
    v represents the initial velocity of the particle. (The one hitting).
    u represents the final velocity.
    α, β represent the angles made with the direction of the particle 1 (The one hitting)
    - α for the one that was moving previously and β for the one that was at rest.
    They way I got to that system is explained up there.

5. Jan 14, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Why does your expression derrived from the inner product [itex] (u1 \cos(\alpha), u1 \sin(\alpha)) \cdot (u2\cos(\beta), u2\sin(\beta)) [/itex] have the factors [itex] u_1^2 , u_2^2 [/itex]? Why not the factor [itex] u_1u_2 [/itex]?

6. Jan 14, 2015 #5
    Agree. You're right. Anyways, is this the way to proceed?

7. Jan 14, 2015 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi, manipulate your equations from conservation of linear of momentum and kinetic energy (three equations) to eliminate all instances of ##v, u_1## and ##u_2##.

8. Jan 14, 2015 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The simplistic way to look at it is that two momentum vectors add to be the vector velocity V and that conservation of energy implies that the lengh of the hypotenuse V squared is the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. Hence it is a right triangle. Can we put that into algebra?

9. Jan 14, 2015 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Try the law of cosines for triangles.

(By the way, the angle between the two velocity vectors wouldn't be sum of angles [itex] \alpha, \beta [/itex] , it would be a difference of them. The the addition law for [itex] cos(A +B) [/itex] should be consistent with the signs of the cosine terms in the inner product.)

10. Jan 15, 2015 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Another approach is to work with the momentum vectors without breaking them into components. Conservation of momentum gives you
    $$\vec{p}_1 + \vec{p}_2 = \vec{p}'_1 + \vec{p}'_2$$ where ##\vec{p}_1 = 0##. Square both sides and use the fact that the kinetic energy can be written as ##\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted