1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics - contact forces

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f_1004m_a0abd84.jpg
    A body of mass m = 10kg is suspended by a fixed support through a perfect wire. The body is resting on the vertical support to another disk, so that the thread
    formed with a vertical angle α = 45 °, as shown. The tension from the wire has the value:
    a. T = 41N
    b. T = 100N
    c. T = 141N
    d. T = 241N

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2

AEM

Draw a diagram of the forces acting on the mass. Since there is no motion, the forces must be in equilibrium. That means the vector sum of the forces in the x direction mus be equal to zero and similarly for the vector sum the forces in the y direction. You'll have to write the tension T in component form to do this. After you get the unknown components of T, you'll have to find its magnitude to answer the question.

By the way, you're supposed to show us your attempt at a solution.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    I've written Gx = G / cos a = T and got a strange result, but i realise now it was a math fail; the correct answer should be c) 141N right ?

5. Feb 5, 2009 #4

AEM

Well, I get T = 139N. Summing the forces in the y direction, I get

[tex] T = \frac{Mg}{cos(45)} = \frac{98.1}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} = 138.7 [/tex]

which I'd round off to 139N. I don't see a reason for the discrepancy right now.

Is the picture you gave the whole picture?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook