Mechanics in Electrical and Computer Engineering: A Primer

In summary, control engineering is a type of mechanics used in electrical and computer engineering to control mechanical systems. This includes applications in areas such as helicopters, robotics, automobiles, manufacturing equipment, and even sensor-actuated toilet flushers. It is often a challenging subject for students, but it branches into two fields: control systems and signal processing. Control systems are used in the areas mentioned above, while signal processing is used for manipulating audio and video signals, telecommunications, image applications, and audio synthesis.
redgoat
Is there any kind of Mechanics used for Electrical and Computer Engineering?

Engineering news on Phys.org
yes, "control engineering" - an application of electrical engineering to control mechanical systems.
Examples include things like: helicopters, robotics, automobile, manufacturing equipment,
and even those sensor actuated toilet flushers. :biggrin:

Ugh...one of my most dreaded classes. Controls. Ouabache is right IMO. I had ME's, EE's and CE's in my class. It seemed like all we did sometimes was develop equations of motion for systems.

I haven't taken any upper-division classes yet... but doesn't control systems branch into like two fields, with only one that needs mechanical engineering? IIRC the other field deals with signals/data/compression/whatever... I just remember something about developing MPEG and MP3 algorithms and stuff like that. I hate Mechanics but that sounds cool...

Actually in EE, Signals and Systems may be divided into two main fields Control Systems and Signal Processing. Control Systems are applied to areas that I described above... (Fred, I sympathize with you.. In EE, we are taught "Signals and Systems" as a prereq to "Control Systems". So the mathematical representations becomes much more intuitive).

Signal Processing may be used to manipulate audio and video signals (such as development of MPEG and JPEG data compression algorithms). It is also applied to telecommunications (e.g. cell phone technology, data transmission via wireless LANS) image applications (e.g. digital photography, medical imaging, pattern recognition), audio synthesis (e.g. music synth, artificial speech)

Thanks for the clarification. :)

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects and is based on Newton's laws of motion. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of microscopic objects, such as atoms and subatomic particles, and is based on the principles of wave-particle duality and uncertainty.

2. How does mechanics apply to electrical and computer engineering?

Mechanics is an important foundation for understanding the behavior of physical systems, including those in electrical and computer engineering. It helps us analyze and predict the motion and forces acting on objects, which is essential for designing and building devices such as motors, sensors, and circuits.

3. What are some common applications of mechanics in ECE?

Some common applications of mechanics in ECE include designing electronic components and systems, developing control systems for robots and machines, and analyzing the behavior of materials used in electronic devices.

4. How is mechanics related to other branches of physics?

Mechanics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. These branches of physics all rely on the fundamental laws of motion and forces to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems.

5. What are some key concepts in mechanics that are important for ECE majors to understand?

Some key concepts in mechanics that are important for ECE majors to understand include motion, forces, energy, momentum, and conservation laws. It is also important to have a strong grasp of mathematical techniques, such as calculus and differential equations, which are used to solve problems in mechanics.