1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics Goldstein again

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    i don't get this what he wrote...
    the internal force [tex]\vec{F_{ij}}[/tex] between two particles is [tex]\vec{F_{ij}}=\nabla_{i} V_{ij}=\nabla_{ij} V_{ij}=-\nabla_{j} V_{ij}[/tex]
    where the subscript below [tex]\nabla_{k}[/tex]implies the differentitaion with respect to components of [tex]\vec{r_{k}}[/tex]
    i can't get how [tex]\vec{F_{ij}}=\nabla_{i} V_{ij} or \vec{F_{ij}}=-\nabla_{j} V_{ij}[/tex]
    the potential energy is dependent on the relative distances between the particles hence there is no meaning to the above two equalities

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2
    are we talking about Sheldon Goldstein?

4. May 3, 2008 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. May 3, 2008 #4
    Oh...

I was thinking about Sheldon Goldstein who deals with quantum mechanics. Sorry

6. May 3, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you are thinking of Shelly Goldstein of Rutgers, the expert on Bohmian mechanics, not Herbert Goldstein, author of the classic textbook on classical mechanics.

7. May 3, 2008 #6
    oops sorry for the inconvinience that was Herbert Goldstein....

P.S:Starnge but i am not able to post with my opera 9.27(because the posting page doesn't load completely) though i am able to do so with FireFox 3 Beta 5...i use Ubuntu 8.04

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?