Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics Goldstein again

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    i don't get this what he wrote...
    the internal force [tex]\vec{F_{ij}}[/tex] between two particles is [tex]\vec{F_{ij}}=\nabla_{i} V_{ij}=\nabla_{ij} V_{ij}=-\nabla_{j} V_{ij}[/tex]
    where the subscript below [tex]\nabla_{k}[/tex]implies the differentitaion with respect to components of [tex]\vec{r_{k}}[/tex]
    i can't get how [tex]\vec{F_{ij}}=\nabla_{i} V_{ij} or \vec{F_{ij}}=-\nabla_{j} V_{ij}[/tex]
    the potential energy is dependent on the relative distances between the particles hence there is no meaning to the above two equalities

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2
    are we talking about Sheldon Goldstein?

4. May 3, 2008 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. May 3, 2008 #4
    Oh...

I was thinking about Sheldon Goldstein who deals with quantum mechanics. Sorry

6. May 3, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you are thinking of Shelly Goldstein of Rutgers, the expert on Bohmian mechanics, not Herbert Goldstein, author of the classic textbook on classical mechanics.

7. May 3, 2008 #6
    oops sorry for the inconvinience that was Herbert Goldstein....

P.S:Starnge but i am not able to post with my opera 9.27(because the posting page doesn't load completely) though i am able to do so with FireFox 3 Beta 5...i use Ubuntu 8.04

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?