1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics Help Needed

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1
    MECHANICS - Help Needed!!!

Hi guys, ive got this tutorial sheet to do, and im pretty stuck on it, i don't really need the answers i can do them myself i just need somewhere to start on the questions and and idea of what to do. Help much appreciated!

1. A car starts from rest and moves along a straight road with acceleration 9ms-2. After 5 seconds another car starts from rest at the same point and moves along the same road with acceleration 16ms-2.
    • How long after the first car starts will the second car catch it up?
    • What are the velocities of the two cars when they first meet?
    • The second car now stops accelerating and travels at constant velocity. How many more seconds after the first meeting will they meet again?

2. Particle A of mass 2 kg and particle B of mass 5 kg are connected by a light inextensible string, which passes over a smooth fixed pulley at the top of a smooth plane inclined at 30° to the horizontal. A is on the plane and B is hanging vertically. At t = 0 both particles are moving with speed 4ms-1 with A moving downwards and B moving upwards and A is 1 m from the top of the plane.
    • Calculate when A reaches the top of the plane.

3. A constant horizontal force of 30 N is applied to a particle of mass 5 kg which moves up a smooth plane inclined at 20° to the horizontal. The particle is initially at rest. Find the velocity and the work done by the force after t seconds.

4. Particle A has mass 5kg and particle B has mass 1kg. They lie on a smooth horizontal surface and the line joining them is normal to a vertical wall with B closer to the wall. The coefficient of restitution between the two particles is Ep = 0.8 and the coefficient of restitution between B and the wall is Ew = 0.5. Initially A is at rest and B is moving towards A at a speed of 2m/s. B collides first with A and then with the wall.
    • Will it collide with A again?
    • What is the final velocity of A?
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2

Gold Member

People won't like to help you if you don't show some work!
  4. Mar 27, 2006 #3
    The kinematics problems are easy, you need to use the three kinematical equations, that's all.

For the mechanics problems, you should refer to http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm/materials/n2.html. IT has a superb guide to solving them.

But, yes, show us some work if you want our help on the specific problems.
  5. Mar 28, 2006 #4

So far ive got:

for car A: a= 9, u=0, v=?, t=(?+5), s=?
    for car B: a= 16, u=0, v=?, t=?, s=?

Find distance car A travels after 5 seconds, ie
    s = ut + 1/2 * a * t^2
    s = 0*5 + 1/2*9*5^2 = 112.5 m
    I know that sb = sa + 112.5 m

Find velocity of car A after 5 seconds,
    v^2 = u^2 + 2as
    v^2 = 0^2 + 2*9*112.5
    v^2 = 2000 => v=SQRT[2000] => 44.72 ms-1

Now i need to find the time it takes for car B to reach car A if it starts 5 seconds after car A. So i need to find t and most probably v & s.

Im thinking the following:
    using: s = ut + 1/2 * a * t^2 in sb = sa + 112.5 m
    so,0.5*16*(t)^2 = 0.5*9*(t+5)^2 + 112.5

If I get t I should be able to find everything else for now.

Thanks, rob
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  6. Mar 28, 2006 #5
    1. when the second car got the same speed with the first one, it can catch up the first one. by using v=u+at, you get all the things.

2. by conservation of energy: KEi+PEi=KEf+PEf, you can get the distance traveled by A along the inclined plane just before it came to instantaneous rest. then, the problem can be done as if two particles are at rest initally.

3. by F=ma, a can be found, then by v=u+at and s=u+1/2at^2, done!!

4. for such problem, recalling the conservation of momentum and thinking about what do the system include.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?