Solving Mechanics Questions: Help Needed

• Thread starter DigitalSpark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the first question is about a body of mass 2kg being held in limiting equilibrium on a rough plane inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal by a horizontal force X. The coefficient of friction between the body and the plane is 0.2. Modelling the body as a particle find X when the body is on the point of slipping:-If the body is up the plane, the coefficient of friction is up.-If the body is down the plane, the coefficient of friction is down. The first answer is 11.05N. The second question is about a car of mass 800kg being accelerated from rest to 20m/s in 15 seconds. If the car has a resistance of 400N, the
DigitalSpark
Hi,

I'm not getting some mechanics questions. I'm sure that I'm right... but the answer in the back of the book is different. I'll type it out for you guys

First Question:

"A body of mass 2kg is held in limiting equilibrium on a rough plane inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal by a horizontal force X. The coefficient of friction between the body and the plane is 0.2. Modelling the body as a particle find X when the body is on the point of slipping:

a) up the plane.
b) down the plane."

I done a, but got it wrong, so I left out b, since I'm assuming I'm missing something.

I got 11.05 N, but the answer says 11.9N

The Second question is:

"Given that the resistances total 400N find the magnitude of the constant force needed to accelerate a car of mass 800kg from rest to 20m/s in 15 seconds."

Okay so I work out a, which is a=(v-u)/t=20/15=4/3

So F=ma=800x4/3=1066.67N

F+Resistance=Total Force=1466.77N, but the answer is 1470N apparently?? I'm confused.

Would like this to be resolved as soon as possible cos I've got a lot of mechanics questions to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem: Show your work not just your answer.

For the second: They just rounded off to a reasonable number of significant figures; your answer matches.

Okay going to be a bit difficult as you need a force diagram. But just imagine a box on an inclined plane 20 degrees to the horizontal, with mg acting down, Normal Reaction and Frictional Force.

Normal Reaction=19.6Cos20=18.4N

Therefore Frictional Force=18.4x0.2=3.68N

So Xcos20=3.68+19.6sin20

X=11.05N

And the answer in the back of the book is 11.9N??

DigitalSpark said:
Normal Reaction=19.6Cos20=18.4N
Careful. Since the applied force is horizontal, it affects the normal force.

Doc Al said:
Careful. Since the applied force is horizontal, it affects the normal force.

Okay... how do I take that into account?? I don't know X in the first place? Give me a hint please :)

Find the normal force (in terms of X) by analyzing the force components perpendicular to the incline surface.

Doc Al said:
Find the normal force (in terms of X) by analyzing the force components perpendicular to the incline surface.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is mechanics and why is it important?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and how forces affect it. It is important because it helps us understand the world around us and the behavior of objects in motion, which is essential in fields such as engineering and technology.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in mechanics?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills in mechanics is to practice regularly and challenge yourself with different types of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques used in mechanics.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems include using incorrect or incomplete equations, not considering all the forces acting on an object, and not paying attention to units and their conversions. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

4. How can I check my answers for accuracy when solving mechanics problems?

You can check your answers for accuracy by plugging them back into the original equations and seeing if they satisfy the given conditions. You can also use the concept of dimensional analysis to make sure your units are consistent throughout the calculations.

5. What are some resources for additional help in solving mechanics problems?

There are many resources available for additional help in solving mechanics problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, or join a study group to discuss and work through problems together.