1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics help !

1. Oct 29, 2005 #1
    Mechanics help plz!

Hi, can anyone help me with the following mechanics question:

http://tinypic.com/f1iogj.jpg

I've attempted this question but I'm stuck on how i can prove that θ = 45° :confused:

I've constructed a diagram but I havent scanned it but what i've got so far is from the diagram at point C, by resolving horizontally i find that the tensions, say T1 and T2 are equal to each other and I label this as T.

Resolving vertically I get 2T cos θ - w = 0

for the bead on the far left, by resolving horizontally I got:

F1 - T1 sin θ = 0 (F1 being the force acting towards the left)

vertically I get: N1 - T1 cos θ - w = 0

For the bead on the far right
    , by resolving horizontally I get:

F2 - t2 sin θ = 0

vertically:

N2 - T2 cos θ = 0

And this is where I'm stuck...I don't know where to go from here. Am I on the rght track? Can anyone help? Thanks! :confused: Sorry again that I havent provided my diagram :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, a couple things here that you need to work on.

Sorry, I misread the question, ignore my first comment (which I have now deleted).

Second, you left out the weight in the vertical force equation for the point B on the far right.

Third, you need to figure out how the condition that the beads A and B be as far apart as possible plays into things. Here is a hint: what is the maximum horizontal force of friction that bead A can feel? What about bead B?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  4. Oct 29, 2005 #3
    hmm I still don't understand...:confused:

5. Oct 29, 2005 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where does the horizontal force on bead A that balances the tension come from? What is the maximum value this force can have? Answer the same thing for B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?