Exploring Mechanics: Particle P's Velocity and Acceleration in Motion

• Thread starter JJ!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a particle's position and velocity. The question asks to show that after 2 seconds, the particle is moving directly away from the origin and to find its speed at that time. The person asking the question is unsure about the approach and formula needed to solve it.
JJ!
Can anyone help me with this question, please?

A particle P is initially at the point (2,6) in relation to an origin, O, and is moving with velocity (3i + j) ms-. It has constant acceleration (16i + 24j) ms-. Show that after 2 seconds it is moving directly away from O, and find its speed at that time.

I would greatly appreciate any help, also details of how to get the answer would be excellent!

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums. Please note that, for homework questions, you are required to show some work before we can help you. Also, in the future, please post in the relevant homework/coursework forum.

So, how do you think you'll approach this question?

Sorry about not posting this in the correct place.

Well with this question, I was not sure about what I need to work out. Considering it is asking for me to firstly show its moving directly away from O, I thought that this may mean that moving directly away is the same as traveling due North (where i = 0).

The initial point (2,6) in component form would be (2i + 6j) with a magnitude of 6.32.

Though I am unsure as to what formula I need to apply to calculate the answer. (sorry for sounding so uncertain!)

1. What is mechanics (M1)?

Mechanics (M1) is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause it. It is concerned with understanding the behavior of physical objects, from individual particles to large structures, under the action of forces.

2. What topics are covered in mechanics (M1)?

Some of the main topics covered in mechanics (M1) include kinematics, which deals with the description of motion; dynamics, which deals with the forces that cause motion; and statics, which deals with the equilibrium of objects at rest. Other topics may include energy, momentum, and rotational motion.

3. Why is mechanics (M1) important?

Mechanics (M1) is important because it helps us understand the physical world around us. It is the basis for many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism, and is essential in engineering, design, and technology. It also helps us make predictions and solve real-world problems.

4. What are some common applications of mechanics (M1)?

Mechanics (M1) has many practical applications. Some examples include understanding the movement of objects in sports, designing structures such as bridges and buildings to withstand forces, and predicting the path of a rocket in space. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as robotics and transportation systems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of mechanics (M1)?

To improve your understanding of mechanics (M1), it is important to practice solving problems and applying the concepts you have learned. You can also read textbooks, watch online lectures or tutorials, and attend study groups or review sessions. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with a particular concept.