1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics of a block of mass homework

1. Mar 5, 2005 #1
    A block of mass m = 2.30 kg slides down a 30.0° incline which is 3.60 m high. At the bottom, it strikes a block of mass M = 7.10 kg which is at rest on a horizontal surface, Fig. 7-41. (Assume a smooth transition at the bottom of the incline, an elastic collision, and ignore friction.)

:confused: Please help to solve this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the question...?You didn't post the question..

Daniel.

4. Mar 5, 2005 #3
    Sorry. Determine the speed of the smaller mass and the larger mass after collision?

5. Mar 5, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay then.The advice is simple:use the conservation of KE and momentum (in vector form).Then u'll have to solve a simple system.

Daniel.

6. Mar 5, 2005 #5
    I did. I end up with two unknown values for a simultaneuos equation. But I keep getting the wrong answer. Do you have an answer to this question?

7. Mar 5, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope.I'm just trying to guide through the correct solving.It's your problem.

So post the equations & the reasoning for reaching them in the first place;

Daniel.

8. Mar 5, 2005 #7
    Ok. I use the Gravitation potential Energy lost=Kinetic energy lost rule to determine the speed of the smaller mass before the collision. I get 8.40m/s. Is this method acceptable to work out the initial speed of the smaller mass?

9. Mar 5, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,the initial value for the speed of the small mass is 8.40m/s...

Daniel.

10. Mar 5, 2005 #9
    Good. Now i can build a simultaneous equation. Equation one deals witht the momentum of the system. Equation two deals with the kinetic energy of the system.

2.30x8.40 + 0 = 2.30v + 7.10V ..........(1)
    0.5x2.30x8.40^2 + 0 = 0.5x2.30xv^2 + 7.10V^2..........(2)
    Is this correct so far?

11. Mar 5, 2005 #10
    sorry i have to correct equation (2)
    0.5x2.30x8.40 + 0 = 0.5x2.30xv^2 + 0.5x7.1xV^2

12. Mar 5, 2005 #11
    is this correct so far then?

13. Mar 5, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assuming that the big mass is not exactly at the botton of the incline,then yes.

Daniel.

14. Mar 5, 2005 #13
    Well from rearranging equation (2) to give V in terms of v, I end up with the answer
    v=8.00m/s.
    This is an electronic Physics homework that my school sets every week. After submitting it, the program tells me that my answer is wrong.

15. Mar 5, 2005 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,as u see,since a smaller object is collided with a bigger one,it will bounce back,which means that the velocity vector changes the sense...Which means that the final aswer should e negative...

Daniel.

P.S.Therefore,take "-v" in the momentum conservation law.

16. Mar 5, 2005 #15
    But the question doesnt talk about velocity. The question asks for speed, which is not a vecor quantity. So just 8.00m/s should be fine. Maybe I am giving my answers to the wrong numbers of decimal places or significant figures?
    Is my my speed correct though?

17. Mar 5, 2005 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Choosing "-v" in the component form of the momentum conservation eq.you'll end up with v~5.33ms^{-1}...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook