Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Mechanics of a throwing sling

1. Jul 22, 2017 #1
    Hey, im not sure if this should be posted somewhere else, if so if you could direct me it would be much appreciated. So my question is how would i find the rotational velocity of a sling and how i could use that to calculate the force of a projectile from said sling. Ive tried doing some research online but most of what ive read is way over my head so i was hoping someone here might be able to help me.

Thanks for any and all help you guys provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume that you are talking about a real sling - that is two thongs and a pouch which are whirled around until one of the thongs is released and the projectile flies free ?

The whirling speed is really determined by choice by the person using the sling . The speed picked up by the projectile is a simple function of the whirling speed and the effective length of the sling .

The effective length of the sling is the length of the thongs plus some additional length from your arms .

So how fast (rpm) can you whirl a sling and what is the effective length of your sling ?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. Jul 22, 2017 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint : For simplicity you can assume that the centre of rotation for the whirling is at you shoulder . Remember that your arms will most likely be bent .

5. Jul 22, 2017 #4
    So how fast (rpm) can you whirl a sling and what is the effective length of your sling ?[/QUOTE]
    Sling would be 48in long and idek what rpm would be.. cant find an average anywhere online socichave no clue

6. Jul 22, 2017 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How fast can you whirl your arms around ?

7. Jul 22, 2017 #6
    Pretty fast, if youre asking for a number i couldnt tell you

8. Jul 22, 2017 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whirl you arm as fast as possible and count the number of rotations made in a minute or if you can't manage a complete minute try thirty seconds .

9. Jul 22, 2017 #8

10. Jul 22, 2017 #9

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So 100 turns in 1 minute or 100 rpm . Good .

100/minute is 100/60 = 1.67 revs/second .

The speed of the sling pouch as it goes around in a circle is given by 2 * pi * L * (revs/second) where L is the effective length of the sling .

L= 48 inches but we'll convert that to metres for our calculations . So we'll use L = 1.2 metres .

Do you want to try working out the pouch speed ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted