1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics of fluids

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Small part of fluid which in the moment ##t=0## was at the point ##(X_1,X_2,X_3)## in some other moment is in the point ##(x_1,x_2,x_3)##. Where
    [tex]x_1(t)=X_1[/tex]
    [tex]x_2(t)=X_2+\sin \pi t\sin \pi X_1[/tex]
    [tex] x_3(t)=X_3[/tex]
    We know that the piece of the fluid is in the t=0 in line which connects points ##(0,0,0)## i ##(1,0,0)##. Plot piece of the fluid at the moment ##t=\frac{1}{2},t=1## and ##t=\frac{3}{2}##.

2. Relevant equations
    As far as I undestand this is Lagrange formalism.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all I want to try to understand the problem. So that small part is one of the point in the line? Right? And every point in the line which connects points ##(0,0,0)## i ##(1,0,0)## changes with equations
    [tex]x_1(t)=X_1[/tex]
    [tex]x_2(t)=X_2+\sin \pi t\sin \pi X_1[/tex]
    [tex] x_3(t)=X_3[/tex]?
    Right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2014 #2
    Imagine a vector ΔS joining the point (0,0,0) to the point (1,0,0) at time t = 0. As time progresses the material points at the two ends of the vector move to new locations, so ΔS changes. You want to find the vector ΔS joining these same two material points at later times. Note that the material point at the origin stays at the origin. So you only need to determine where the other material point is located as a function of time. You need to plot this, and show the vector joining the two material points at the different times. This will illustrate visually a little bit about how the fluid is deforming.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted