Mechanics of Materials Bending Stres Problem

In summary, the conversation involves a homework problem for mechanics of materials, specifically finding the maximum bending stress for a rectangular beam when the stress-strain relationship is not based on Hooke's law. The flexure formula for Hooke's law is given as Omax = Mc/I, but for this problem, the stress-strain relationship is given as O^n = Ee. The individual is unsure how to obtain the moment of inertia, which is typically calculated using the equation [1/12*b*h^3].
Delta-One
Mechanics of Materials Bending Stress Problem

Hi,

I have a homework problem for mechanics of materials involving bending stress. Here is the exact wording:

"Show that the maxiumum bending stress for a beam of rectangular cross-section is Omax = Mc/I [(2n + 1) / (3n)] if instead of Hooke's law, the stress-strain relationship is O^n = Ee, where n is a number dependent on the material."

--NOTE: Omax is the maxiumum bending stress

Essentially the diffence is not using Hooke's law: O = Ee (e is the strain). Using Hooke's law yields the flexure formula: Omax = Mc/I.

So far I have got O^n = Omax^n * (y/c)
but when I insert this into the equation dM = ydF or dM = yOdA I am uncertain how to obtain I (the moment of Inertia)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the moment of inertia is calculated by the eq. [1/12*b*h^3]

First of all, great job on getting started with the problem! Let's go through the steps to solve this problem together.

Step 1: Understanding the given information
The problem states that instead of using Hooke's law, we are using a stress-strain relationship of O^n = Ee, where n is a material-dependent constant. This means that the maximum bending stress, Omax, can no longer be calculated using the flexure formula Omax = Mc/I.

Step 2: Deriving the bending stress equation
To find the maximum bending stress, we need to start with the basic equation for bending stress: O = My/I. In this case, we are using a non-linear stress-strain relationship, so we need to substitute O^n = Ee for O. This gives us (O^n) = My/I. Now, we can rearrange this equation to solve for Omax: Omax = (My/I)^(1/n).

Step 3: Finding the moment of inertia
Next, we need to find the moment of inertia, I. This can be done by using the formula for the moment of inertia of a rectangular cross-section: I = (bh^3)/12. However, in this case, we are dealing with a beam of rectangular cross-section, so we need to consider the height, h, as the distance from the neutral axis to the top or bottom edge of the beam, which we will call c. This gives us I = (bc^3)/12.

Step 4: Substituting and simplifying
Now, we can substitute this moment of inertia into our equation for Omax: Omax = (My)/[(bc^3)/12]^(1/n). Simplifying this further, we get Omax = My/(b^(1/n)c^(3/n)).

Step 5: Solving for Omax
To find the maximum bending stress, we need to solve for Omax by finding the maximum moment, M. To do this, we can use the equation dM = ydF, where dM is the differential moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the differential force dF, and dF is the differential force acting on a small area dA. We can also use the equation dM = yOdA, where dM is the differential moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the differential force dF, and dA

1. What is bending stress in mechanics of materials?

Bending stress in mechanics of materials refers to the internal stress that occurs in a material when it is subjected to external forces that cause it to bend or deform. This type of stress is caused by a combination of tension and compression forces acting on different areas of the material.

2. How is bending stress calculated?

Bending stress is calculated using the formula σ = (M * c) / I, where σ is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost point of the material, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section of the material.

3. What are the factors that affect bending stress?

The factors that affect bending stress include the magnitude and direction of the external forces, the material properties such as its yield strength and modulus of elasticity, the geometry of the material, and the support conditions.

4. How does bending stress affect the strength of a material?

Bending stress can significantly reduce the strength and durability of a material if it exceeds the material's yield strength. This can lead to permanent deformation or failure of the material. To ensure the material can withstand the bending stress, engineers must carefully design and select materials with appropriate properties.

5. What are some common applications of bending stress in engineering?

Bending stress is a critical concept in engineering and is commonly used in the design and analysis of various structures, such as beams, bridges, and columns. It is also essential in the design of mechanical components, such as gears, shafts, and springs, which are subjected to bending forces in their operation.