Mechanics of Materials - Help

In summary, we have a hollow shaft with torque being applied on both sides. The angle of twist is 50 degrees and the diameter is 100 mm with a thickness of 5 mm. The allowable stress is 120 MPa and the allowable shear stress is 50 MPa. We are asked to solve for the maximum torque, which can be found by using two equations and comparing the results. These equations involve the maximum stress and the maximum shear stress, and their respective calculations. However, there may be a relation between torque and angle of twist that is not explicitly stated in the problem. Without knowing the length and material of the shaft, it is not possible to find the value of G. Additionally, there may be other figures or
Rieck2000

Homework Statement

A hollow shaft has torque being applied on both sides. The angle of twist is 50 degrees, the diameter is 100 mm, the thickness t has 5 mm. We are given that the allowable stress is 120 MPa, and the allowable shear stress is 50 MPa.

We are asked to solve for the maximum torque.

I know I will have to calculate for the torque using two equations and I will have to compare the answers. I will find torque using the max stress and i will find torque using the maximum shear stress.

At first:

I used, Shear stress (max) = Tr/J

J = TT/2 * (ro^4 - ri^4)

I get the wrong answer.. I am wondering what the relation is with Torque and Angle of twist

I know, theta = TL/JG . But I'm not given L, and not told what material I have, so G is unknown.

Thank you for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the exact problem statement?

A shaft that can deflect 50 degrees seems very unrealistic, unless its made of play-doh:)

Are they're no other figures given, perhaps a shear-stress diagram?

Also if its asking for the maximum torque, then that torque just equals whatever the applied torque is at the ends (since these are the only torques).

If you still need help type in the exact problem state and we can see what we can do

1. What is the definition of mechanics of materials?

The mechanics of materials is a branch of mechanics that deals with the behavior of solid objects subjected to external forces. It studies the response of materials to various types of stress and strain, and how these factors affect their strength, stiffness, and overall performance.

2. What are the key concepts in mechanics of materials?

The key concepts in mechanics of materials include stress, strain, elasticity, plasticity, and failure criteria. Stress is the measure of internal force per unit area, while strain is the measure of deformation caused by stress. Elasticity refers to a material's ability to return to its original shape after being deformed, while plasticity refers to the permanent deformation of a material. Failure criteria are used to determine the point at which a material will fail under certain stress and strain conditions.

3. What are the different types of stress and strain?

The different types of stress include tensile, compressive, shear, and bending stress. Tensile stress is caused by pulling forces, compressive stress by pushing forces, shear stress by forces acting in opposite directions, and bending stress by forces applied perpendicular to the length of a material. The different types of strain include axial, shear, and volumetric strain, which measure the amount of deformation in a material in different directions.

4. How do you calculate stress and strain in mechanics of materials?

Stress can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. Strain is calculated by dividing the change in length by the original length of the material. Both stress and strain are typically represented by the Greek letter sigma (σ). The unit for stress is usually in pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m²), and strain is unitless.

5. What are the practical applications of mechanics of materials?

Mechanics of materials has many real-world applications, including the design and analysis of structures such as buildings, bridges, and aircraft. It is also used in the development of new materials and products, such as stronger and more durable materials for construction and vehicles. Understanding the mechanics of materials is crucial for ensuring the safety and reliability of structures and products in various industries.