Solve Section 9.2 Probs 1-4 7th Ed Mechanics of Materials

In summary, the conversation is about a student who has an older edition of a book for their Mechanics of Materials class and needs help with the homework problems from the newer edition. They are wondering if anyone has the newer edition and can share the problems, or if the problems in their older edition are the same. They also express frustration about having to buy a new book instead of using the older edition.
2slowtogofast
I have Mechanics of Materials By James M Gere the 5th edition. My class uses the 7th edition which has been virtully the same so far. I have to do section 9.2 problems 1,2,3,4 for homework from the 7th edition. In the 5th problems for chapter 9 start on section 9.3. So i was wondering if anyone has the 7th ed and could post those problems online or maybe we could talk and see if section 9.3 1,2,3,4 in my edition are the same as the 7th or if anyone knows anywhere online where i can get these problems any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats really crappy that they don't photocopy the questions for you, basically forcing you to buy a spanking new book when the older editions work just fine. Its likely that most the problems are the same, but don't hold me to that.

That wasn't very helpful to your question, but I just had to say.

Check with your class mates.

1. What is the purpose of solving Section 9.2 Probs 1-4 in the 7th edition of Mechanics of Materials?

The purpose of solving these problems is to understand the application of the stress transformation equations in analyzing the behavior of materials under different types of loading conditions.

2. What concepts are covered in Section 9.2 of the 7th edition of Mechanics of Materials?

Section 9.2 covers topics such as the stress transformation equations, principal stresses and maximum shear stress, and Mohr's circle. It also includes examples and applications of these concepts in solving real-world engineering problems.

3. How do the stress transformation equations help in analyzing materials?

The stress transformation equations help in analyzing materials by providing a way to determine the stresses acting on an element at any angle or direction. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the material's behavior under different loading conditions.

4. What is the significance of principal stresses and maximum shear stress in material analysis?

Principal stresses are the maximum and minimum normal stresses acting on an element, while maximum shear stress is the maximum shear stress acting on an element. These values are important in determining the failure criteria of materials and predicting their behavior under different loading conditions.

5. How can Mohr's circle be used in solving problems related to material analysis?

Mohr's circle is a graphical method that can be used to visualize and solve problems related to stress transformation and material analysis. It allows for a quick and accurate determination of principal stresses and maximum shear stress, and can be applied to a variety of loading conditions.