What is the Allowable Load on a Tie-Down with a Bent Bar and Fiberglass Support?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a rope being pulled up with force P and a bent bar with a piece of fiberglass and various other components. The question was to determine the allowable load on the tie-down, with given values for allowable shear stress and bearing pressure. The answer was calculated to be 607 lb and 619 lb, but the person was having trouble understanding how the book arrived at these values. The conversation concluded with the expert explaining the calculations and the person expressing understanding and gratitude.
Dyls
okay, I've been banging my head against a wall for a few hours. It's a bit difficult to describe but here goes...

There is a rope being pulled up with force P. The bottom of this rope is tied to a bent bar. The bent bar is shaped like an upside down U with the two ends stuck in a piece of fiberglass that has a thickness of t=(3/8) in. After the plywood on each "prong" is a washer and a screw-head. The screw going into the plywood has a diameter of 1/4 in and the washer has a diameter of 7/8 in. Allowable shear stress in the fiberglass is 300 osi and the allowable bearing pressure between the washer and the fiberglass is 550 psi. What is the allowable load on the tie-down?

The answer is 607 lb and 619 lb but I can't seem to figure how the book got this. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]550~psi = \frac {L}{A_{washer}} [/tex]

[tex]A_{washer} = \frac{\pi}{4} (D^2_{out} - D^2 _{in}) [/tex]

Allowable load = 2L = 607.46 lbs

Similarly for the second part, keeping in mind that the relevant area, A for the shear stress is

[tex] A = \pi D_{out} \cdot t [/tex]

This will give you load = 618.50 lbs

Do you understand why this is so ?

wow... you rock. Yeah I understand why. Thanks so much!

Well, actually I don't quite understand the shear stress part. Can you explain that?

1. What is the definition of mechanics of materials?

Mechanics of materials is a branch of mechanics that deals with the behavior of solid objects subjected to various types of forces and stresses. It involves the study of how materials deform, strain, and fail under different loading conditions.

2. What are the main types of stresses in mechanics of materials?

The main types of stresses in mechanics of materials are tensile, compressive, shear, and bending stresses. Tensile stress is a pulling force that stretches the material, while compressive stress is a pushing force that shortens the material. Shear stress is a force that causes one part of a material to slide past another part. Bending stress is a combination of tensile and compressive stresses that occur when a material is bent.

3. What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is the temporary change in shape of a material when a load is applied, and it returns to its original shape when the load is removed. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, is a permanent change in shape of a material when a load is applied, and it does not return to its original shape when the load is removed.

4. How is stress related to strain in mechanics of materials?

Stress is the measure of the internal forces acting on a material, while strain is the measure of the deformation of a material. The relationship between stress and strain is described by Hooke's Law, which states that stress is directly proportional to strain within the elastic limit of a material. This relationship is known as the stress-strain curve.

5. What are some common applications of mechanics of materials?

Mechanics of materials has a wide range of applications, including designing and analyzing structures, machines, and components used in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and manufacturing. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials and improving the performance and durability of existing ones.