Mechanics of Materials: Design Analysis of Structural Elements 4th Ed.

In summary, the conversation discusses the merits of a book on mechanics of materials, specifically "Design analysis of structural elements fourth edition" by James W. Dally and Robert J. Bonenberger. The individual talking has taken statics with Hibbeler and enjoyed the thoroughness of the material. However, upon looking through the book on mechanics of materials, they found it to be lacking in comparison to Hibbeler's book. They are considering buying Hibbeler's book instead and using the other book as a paper weight. They also express concerns about the quality of diagrams and the approach to vector analysis in the book. Other individuals mention a favorable review of the book on Amazon.
Cyrus
Hey,

I just bought my book for mechanics of materials from the book store. Apparently its used in teaching statics and mechanics of materials all in one. I already took statics with Hibbeler, and I really did enjoy that book. It was VERY thorough. I looked through this books statics and felt very sad. A good majority of the stuff found in hibbeler was NOT found in this book, and I am willing to bet it will be severly lacking in material on mechanics of materials. I know hibbeler has a book on mech of mat, and I am very inclined to buy that and use this book as a paper weight and to solve the problems for homework only. Has anyone had any experience using this book: "Design analysis of structural elements fourth edition, James W. Dally and Robert J. Bonenberger"

Also, has anyone used hibbelers book on mechanics of materials?

No disrespect to the authors of this book, but they put a really nice hard cover, but when you open it up, the pictures and diagrams look like they were made in MS paint! But the main problem is it looks like it takes a very non rigerous approach to vector analysis. I could not find a single page on moments about a specified axis! YIKES!

I like hibbeler because its almost identical to beer/johnston, and they show good proofs using vectors.

any help is appreciated

Cyrus!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There was a very favorable review of this book at Amazon.

1. What is the purpose of studying Mechanics of Materials?

The purpose of studying Mechanics of Materials is to understand and analyze the behavior of various structural elements under different loading conditions. This knowledge is crucial for designing safe and efficient structures in fields such as engineering, architecture, and construction.

2. What topics are covered in the 4th edition of "Mechanics of Materials: Design Analysis of Structural Elements"?

The 4th edition covers topics such as stress and strain analysis, axial loading, torsion, bending, deflection of beams, and column analysis. It also includes discussions on material properties, stress transformation, and failure criteria.

3. What is the difference between design analysis and structural analysis?

Design analysis involves using mathematical models and calculations to determine the strength and performance of a structure before it is built. Structural analysis, on the other hand, focuses on evaluating the behavior and stability of existing structures.

4. How does the design of structural elements impact their performance?

The design of structural elements directly affects their performance and safety. Design decisions such as material selection, shape, and size can impact the strength, stiffness, and load-carrying capacity of a structure. A well-designed structure can withstand expected loads and last for its intended lifespan.

5. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of Mechanics of Materials?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject. It includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help readers understand the concepts and apply them in real-world scenarios.