Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mechanics - pendulum

1. May 6, 2005 #1
    a double pendulum made up of two rods...look at the image below.

The lower rod is struck at a distance a from the point connecting the rods (straight arrow in the image). Before that both rods are at the equilibrium postion and have angular velocity w. Determine a so that the rods have angular velocity w and -w after the lower rod have been struck.

solution:

The lagranian is

[tex]

L = 1/6*(m_1 + 3m_2)l_1^2\dot{\theta_1}^2 + 1/6*m_2l_2^2\dot{\theta_2}^2 + 1/2*m_2l_1l_2cos(\theta_1 -\theta_2})\dot{\theta_1}\dot{\theta_2} + 1/2*(m_1 + 2m_2)gl_1cos\theta_1 + 1/2*m_2gl_2cos\theta_2

[/tex]

When i have solved similiar problems i have used that

[tex]

(\frac {dT} {d\dot{q}})_f - (\frac {dT} {d\dot{q}})_i = F_x

[/tex]

But i dont think this works now.

Any ideas on how to continue?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The new velocity of the second rod's C.M must satisfy:
    [tex]\omega\vec{k}\times{l_{1}\vec{i}_{r}-\omega\vec{k}\times{\frac{l_{2}}{2}}\vec{i}_{r}=\vec{v}_{c.m.2}[/tex]
    where [tex]\vec{i}_{r}[/tex] is the unit vector down along the pendulum system.

Note that if there had been a net impulse couple acting in the joint, i.e, rod 1 imparting an impulse to rod 2, and rod 2 imparting an equal, but oppositely directed impulse on rod 1, then rod 1 would have experienced a change in its angular velocity.
    Thus, no such impulse couple was present.
    But, therefore, the impulse [tex]\vec{I}[/tex] striking at "a" is solely responsible for the perceived change in the momentum of rod 2, that is:
    [tex]\vec{I}=m_{2}(\omega\vec{k}\times(l_{1}-\frac{l_{2}}{2})\vec{i}_{r}-\omega\vec{k}\times(l_{1}+\frac{l_{2}}{2})\vec{i}_{r})=-m_{2}\omega{l}_{2}\vec{k}\times\vec{i}_{r}[/tex]

But, this must be consistent with the change in angular momentum rod 2 experience as a result of [tex]\vec{I}[/tex] striking at "a":
    Measured, from the C.M of rod 2, we must have:
    [tex]a(-\vec{i}_{r})\times\vec{I}=-\mathcal{I}_{C.M}2\omega\vec{k}[/tex]
    where the moment of inertia with respect to the C.M fulfills: [tex]\mathcal{I}_{C.M}=\frac{m_{2}l_{2}^{2}}{12}[/tex]

Solving for "a", we get [tex]a=-\frac{l_{2}}{6}[/tex], i.e, it is below the center of mass (the distance from the joint is therefore [tex]\frac{2}{3}l_{2}[/tex]

Last edited: May 6, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook