Mechanics & physics,can anyone explain the scenarios?Very practical Questions?

In summary, the conversation discusses practical questions related to mechanics and physics, specifically on a physics and mechanical aptitude test. The individual is seeking help in explaining the scenarios and questions provided in the links. They also provide the answers they have come up with. The summary also includes additional answers and explanations for Q4, Q3, Q8, and Q9.
flabber
Mechanics & physics,can anyone please explain the scenarios?Very practical Questions?

Hi...Can anyone please be kind enough to help me? i know it will take a bit longer for u to answer. I have some scenarios and questions in the following pages:

http://www.geocities.com/flabberguest_gabcraft/pg1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/flabberguest_gabcraft/pg2.jpg

These are related to physics & mechanical aptitude test. I know the answers but i am not able to explain them with the help of theories. Can anyone please help me explain these situations. Please take a look it is interesting thanks in advance ...
for assistance I'm providing the Answers:
Q1 = A
Q2 = B
Q3 = A
Q4 = don't know
Q5 = A
Q6 = B
Q7 = don't know
Q8 = B
Q9 = don't know

Physics news on Phys.org

I think that Q4 = C because the the magnetic field which is induced by the current flowing in the wire is not in any of the direction described in A or B (It is actually normal to the plane of the screen.
Also, Q3 = A because the torque of a force acting at a larger distance from the center of rotation is larger than one acting close to the center, that is torque = F x r where r is the distance from the center and x is a cross product.
Also Q8=B because saw dust is more thermally insulating than air, I suppose.

Question 9 is A since three points define a plane. More than that and you will have at least one leg off the floor on uneven ground.

1. What is the difference between mechanics and physics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces on objects. Physics, on the other hand, is a broader science that encompasses the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. How does Newton's first law of motion apply to real-life scenarios?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This applies to real-life scenarios such as a stationary car remaining still until a force, such as pushing on the gas pedal, is applied.

3. Can you explain the concept of momentum in physics?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In physics, momentum is conserved, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This concept can be seen in collisions, where the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. How is work defined in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. This means that work is done when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move a certain distance in the direction of the force. The unit for work is joules (J).

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. An object can have both kinetic and potential energy at the same time, and these energies can be converted back and forth between each other.