Solving the Ships P and Q Problem

• Thread starter mathsmathsmaths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ships
In summary, the two ships P and Q are traveling at constant velocities at night. At midnight, P is at a point with position vector (20i + 10j) km relative to the fixed origin 0 while Q is at a point with position vector (14i - 6j) km. Three hours later, P is at a point with position vector (29i + 34j) km. The velocity of P can be represented as 3i + 8j. The expressions for P and Q in terms of t, i, and j are (20i + 10j) + (3i + 8j)t and (14i - 6j) + (12j)t,
mathsmathsmaths
Two ships P and Q are traveling at night with constant velocities. At midnight,P is at point with position vector (20i + 10j) km relative to fixed origin 0. At the same time, q is at the point with position vectro (14i - 6J)Km. Three hours later, P is at point with position vector (29i + 34j) Km . the ship Q travels with velocity 12jkm h^-1 . At time t hours after midnight, the position vector of P and Q are p km and qKm respectively. find

a) the velocity of P, in terms of i and j.

i got

t=3= (20i + 10j)Km + 3( i + J)

t = 3 = (20i + 10j)Km + 3( i + J) = (29 i + 34j)

= 20 + 3i = 29

i = 3

then 10 + 3b = 34j

so b = 8j

Then velocity will be = 3i + 8j

(ok now i need someone to see if this part is right please.)

B) Then i got to find an expression for P and Q in terms of t, i and j

I got

P= (20i + 10j)+ ( 3i + 8J)t

and For Q = (14i - 6j) + (12j)t

then the questions goes :

At time t hours after midnight, the disatnce between p and Q is d Km.

c) by finding an expression For PQ show that

d^2 = 25t^2 - 92t + 292.

Now for this one i know that i have to take away Q from P but does it mean i take away the following :

Q = (14i - 6j) + (12j)t - P= (20i + 10j)+ ( 3i + 8J)t

Because i get the worng answer, so what i want from someone is to kindly, see if i have done part A and B right and to show me how to do C becuase i ahve been goign in circles, and no hope, so can someone please help thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just subtract Q from P.

"I got

P= (20i + 10j)+ ( 3i + 8J)t

and For Q = (14i - 6j) + (12j)t"

I.e. [(20i + 10j)+ ( 3i + 8J)t]-[(14i - 6j) + (12j)t].

Firstly, your expression for the velocity of P is correct. It should be 3i + 8j km/h.

For part B, you have correctly found the expressions for P and Q in terms of t, i, and j.

For part C, you are on the right track. To find the distance between P and Q, you need to find the difference between their position vectors at time t. So it would be (20i + 10j) + (3i + 8j)t - (14i - 6j) - (12j)t. Simplifying this, we get (6i + 16j)t + (6i + 16j) km.

To find the distance, we need to take the magnitude of this vector. So the distance between P and Q is given by:
d = |(6i + 16j)t + (6i + 16j)| = √[(6t)^2 + (16t)^2] = √(36t^2 + 256t^2) = √(292t^2) = √292t.

To get an expression for d^2, we simply square both sides:
d^2 = (292t)^2 = 292^2t^2 = 85,264t^2.

So the expression for d^2 is indeed 85,264t^2. I'm not sure where you got the expression 25t^2 - 92t + 292 from, but it is incorrect.

Hope this helps clarify things for you.

1. What is the Ships P and Q Problem?

The Ships P and Q Problem is a theoretical mathematical problem that involves two ships, P and Q, traveling on intersecting routes at different speeds. The goal is to calculate the time and location of the ships' closest approach.

2. How do you solve the Ships P and Q Problem?

The Ships P and Q Problem can be solved using mathematical equations and formulas, such as the distance formula and the Pythagorean theorem. It also requires knowledge of the ships' speeds, routes, and starting locations.

3. What are the real-life applications of the Ships P and Q Problem?

The Ships P and Q Problem has applications in navigation, logistics, and transportation. It can also be used to model and predict the movements of objects in space, such as satellites and asteroids.

4. What are some challenges in solving the Ships P and Q Problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Ships P and Q Problem is accurately determining the ships' starting locations and speeds. Small errors in these values can lead to significant differences in the calculated closest approach time and location.

5. Are there any variations of the Ships P and Q Problem?

Yes, there are variations of the Ships P and Q Problem that involve more than two ships or include additional factors such as wind or currents. These variations can be more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.