1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics Problem, Cannot understand

1. Aug 22, 2005 #1
    Here is the problem.

A car starts moving rectilinearly, first with acceleration [tex] \omega = 5.0 [/tex] m/s^2 (the initial velocity is equal to zero), then uniformly, and finally, decelerating at the same rate [tex] \omega [/tex], comes to a stop. The total time of motion equals [tex] \tau = 25 [/tex] s. The average velocity during that time is equal to [tex] v = 72 [/tex] km per hour. How long does the car move uniformly?

If I did not have to deal with the average velocity, then I can figure out that the car will reach a maximum speed of 50 m/s for an instant before it has to decelerate in order to have a 25 s trip. But I think this is where I have a weakness when it comes to average velocities. How do you put it together with acceleration? The answer at the back of my book gives a result of 15 s. I'd appreciate any help getting me pointed in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

create equations of motion for all three stages of the journey.

For the distance travelled and for the velocities at the end-points of each stage.

Remember that the distance travelled and time taken are the same for the 1st and 3rd stages.

Edit: I got 15s too.

4. Aug 22, 2005 #3
    Pretty much what Fermat said:

Find the distance traveled during the first and second states. Note the distance and time displaced during the 3rd stage is the same as the first. So 2*x1+x2 = 500 m and 2t1 + t2 = 25 s. Find the equations for x1 and x2 in terms of t1 and t2, then solve the system of equations.

5. Aug 23, 2005 #4
    Thank you I finally solved it. However, what still puzzles me is what the answer at the back gives. I don't understand their interpretation. Then again I don't know if it is even correct since I think there would be a neagtive square root.
    What the book gives me:

[tex] \Delta t = \tau \sqrt{\frac{1-4v}{\omega \tau}} = 15 s[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?