Cat Leap Time Calculation - Solving Mechanics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a cat leaps horizontally from one flat roof to another, with a height difference of 2.5 meters. The problem asks for the time it takes for the cat to make the leap, given that the acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. After some discussion and corrections, it is determined that the correct way to solve the problem is to use the vertical component of the cat's trajectory, which results in a time of 0.7 seconds.
luysion

Homework Statement

"A cat leaps horizontally from a flat roof 7.5 m above the ground and lands on another flat roof 5 m above the ground and 3.5 m away horizontally.

How long, in seconds, does the leap take?"
Answer: 0.7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, i imagined the situation as half a projectile. with the cat traveling the hypotenuse of the triangle that can be formed (2.5 and 3.5 base). I know vi = 0 at highest point of a projectile and i know that the distance is 4.3 (pythagoras) i used kinematics ( d = vit + 1/2at^2) and get an answer of 0.81..

CHeers

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the horizontal and vertical components are completely seperate. If you focus on just vertical components, you should see that you have the values for acceleration, original velocity, and displacement.

Use kinematics formulas to solve for time.

hey cheers for the reply!

I did that, and I didnt get 0.7 as my answer. I calculated the vertical component as 4.3 so that's my d(vertical) and i know vi(vertical component) is zero at the highest point of a projectile and acceleration is 9.8..

what am I doing wrong?

Hi luysion
luysion said:

with the cat traveling the hypotenuse of the triangle that can be formed (2.5 and 3.5 base).
CHeers

This is your mistake. The trajectory of the cat is not straight line but parabolic so it's nothing to do with triangle. Just use simple kinematics as aftershock suggested. Consider the vertical components to find the time needed

luysion said:
hey cheers for the reply!

I did that, and I didnt get 0.7 as my answer. I calculated the vertical component as 4.3 so that's my d(vertical) and i know vi(vertical component) is zero at the highest point of a projectile and acceleration is 9.8..

what am I doing wrong?

There's an acceleration so you need an initial and final velocity. The problem said the cat leaps horizontally... so there would be no vertical velocity at all to begin with. Displacement would be the difference between the two roofs.

Post what number's you're using for original velocity and displacement... and then what equation you're using if you still can't get .7 :)

This is how you solve it.

There are two building, the height difference between both of them is 2.5 meters.

Y (displacement in the vertical axis) = 2.5

We are in Earth, so the acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s^2

a (acceleration) = 9.81

The Cat is resting and then begins descending; therefore, his initial speed is 0 m/s

Vi = 0 m/s

Solve

Y=ViT+(1/2)at^2

2.5=(1/2)(9.81)t^2

(5/9.81)=T^2

Square Root of (5/9.81) = .7139

Ah Cheers guys! thanks for all the replies. I was using the wrong component! i forgot in projectile we use the vertical component in kinematic equations. I kept using the hypotenuse which made no sense -_- as a projectile is a parabolic path

thanks so much to everyone!1

1. What is a "mechanics problem"?

A mechanics problem is a type of physics problem that involves the study of motion and the forces that act upon objects. It typically involves using mathematical equations and principles to analyze the behavior of physical systems.

2. What makes a mechanics problem confusing?

Mechanics problems can be confusing due to their use of mathematical equations and abstract concepts. They may also involve complex scenarios and multiple variables, making them difficult to solve without a solid understanding of the underlying principles.

3. How can I approach a mechanics problem that is confusing?

One way to approach a mechanics problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the known quantities and the unknown variable, and then apply relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or create visual representations of the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems include miscalculating units, using the wrong equations, and forgetting to consider all relevant forces or variables. It is also important to double check your work and make sure your answers make sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding of mechanics problems?

The best way to improve your understanding of mechanics problems is to practice solving them. Start with simpler problems and work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to review the underlying principles and equations, and seek additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.