What is the tension in the cord while the mass is falling?

In summary, a 8.0 kg uniform disk with a moment of inertia of ½ MR^2 can rotate without friction on a fixed axis. When a 6.0 kg mass is attached to the disk with a string that does not slip, the tension in the cord while the mass is falling is 24 Newtons. The effect of the disk's inertia on the system's acceleration can be found by understanding how the rotation of the pulley affects the tension in the cord. By using the equations Torque = r x F and Torque = I(alpha), we can solve for the tension and find that it is equal to 23.52N.
jg156
Recently stumbled on this problem:

A uniform disk (I =½ MR2
) of mass 8.0 kg can rotate without
friction on a fixed axis. A string is wrapped around its
circumference and is attached to a 6.0 kg mass. The string does
not slip. What is the tension in the cord while the mass is
falling?

The answer is 24 Newtons, but i would like to know why.
If anyone can provide a solution/explanation, that would be greatly appreciated.
I am having trouble figuring out the effect the disk's inertia has on the system's acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
post it in the Homework section

Hello! To do that problem, you have to, as you know, understand how the rotation of the pulley affects the tension in the cord. Because Tension T is pulling down on the point A where the string is perpendicular to the center of the pulley, and pulling up further down the rope to counteract the mg of the block, we have that:
1) T - mg = ma
Since we know what mg is, we have to find a in terms of T, and solve for T
We know that the Torque about the pulley is Torque = r x F, and since Mg passes through the pulley's center, we don't have to consider it. We only consider T.
2) Torque = r x F = TR
Now, remember that Torque = I(alpha), and alpha = a/R?
TR = I(alpha) [Let's do some substitution]
TR = MR^2/2 * a/R
So, a = 2T/M.
Now let's solve for T!
Go back to 1) and rearrange it. T + ma = mg. Now plug in a.
So, we have that T = mg/(1+2m/M). T = 23.52N which is 24.

1. What is tension in mechanics?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled tight by forces acting on either end. In mechanics, tension refers to the force exerted by a string, cable, or similar object on an object it is attached to, pulling it in the direction of the string.

2. How is tension calculated?

Tension can be calculated by using the equation T = F * sin(θ), where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the direction of the applied force and the direction of the string or cable.

3. What are some real-life examples of tension in mechanics?

Some common examples of tension in mechanics include the tension in guitar strings, the tension in suspension bridges, and the tension in cables used in cranes and elevators. Tension is also present in everyday objects, such as when pulling a wagon or opening a door.

4. How does tension affect the stability of structures?

Tension is an important factor in determining the stability of structures. In general, structures that are under high tension are less stable and more prone to collapse. This is because tension can cause objects to stretch or deform, which can lead to failure if the tension force is too great.

5. How can tension be managed in mechanical systems?

Tension can be managed in mechanical systems by using materials with high tensile strength, such as steel, and by designing structures to distribute tension forces evenly. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help identify and address any issues with tension before they become a problem.