Solving Mechanics Problem: Ball, String, Fly, Velocity

• Thread starter grief
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, a ball with length L is swung around a horizontal axis and has a fly sitting on top of it. The ball has a speed of v at the bottom of its path, and the goal is to find the force needed to keep the fly from falling. The only forces acting on the fly are downward, and the knowledge of velocity and masses of the ball and fly (M and 2M, respectively) are known. The key to solving this problem is understanding that the acceleration in a circular path is v^2/R, where R is the radius of the circular path.
grief
a ball is connected to a string with length L and is swung around a horizontal axis. On top of the ball sits a fly. At the bottom of the path, the speed of the ball is v, and I need to find what force should be exerted by the ball on the fly to keep it from falling. This is confusing to me because the only forces on the fly are downward, and I'm not sure how to combine the knowledge I have about the velocity with the forces. I also know the masses of the ball and fly(ball=M, fly=2M)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it has to do with the fact that acceleration in a circular path is v^2/R, but I'm not sure how

I would approach this problem by first identifying the forces acting on the fly. As you mentioned, the only forces on the fly are downward due to gravity. However, the ball is also exerting a centripetal force on the fly as it swings around the horizontal axis. This force is directed towards the center of the circular motion and is equal to the tension in the string.

To solve for the force exerted by the ball on the fly, we can use Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the acceleration of the fly is towards the center of the circular motion, so we can use the centripetal acceleration formula (a=v^2/r) to calculate it.

Using the given information, we can set up the following equation: F = ma = (2M)(v^2/L). This means that the force exerted by the ball on the fly is equal to 2 times the mass of the fly, multiplied by the square of the velocity, divided by the length of the string.

In summary, to keep the fly from falling, the ball must exert a centripetal force on the fly equal to 2 times the mass of the fly, multiplied by the square of the velocity, divided by the length of the string. I hope this helps clarify the problem for you.

1. How do I calculate the velocity of a ball attached to a string?

To calculate the velocity of a ball attached to a string, you need to use the formula: v = √(g * L * (1 - cosθ)), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the string, and θ is the angle at which the string is being held. This formula can also be modified to find the velocity at different points along the string's path.

2. What is the best way to approach a mechanics problem involving a ball, string, and fly?

The best way to approach a mechanics problem involving a ball, string, and fly is to start by defining all the variables involved, such as the mass of the ball and fly, the length of the string, and any given velocities or angles. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy, to solve the problem. It is also helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the situation.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect the velocity in a mechanics problem?

The mass of the ball does not directly affect the velocity in a mechanics problem involving a ball, string, and fly. However, it does play a role in the calculations for other variables, such as the tension in the string and the acceleration of the ball. In general, a heavier ball will require more force to move and will experience a larger change in velocity compared to a lighter ball.

4. Can I neglect air resistance when solving a mechanics problem with a ball, string, and fly?

In most cases, air resistance can be neglected when solving a mechanics problem with a ball, string, and fly. However, if the problem involves high speeds or long distances, air resistance may need to be taken into account. If this is the case, more complex equations and calculations may be needed to accurately solve the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a mechanics problem involving a ball, string, and fly?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a mechanics problem with a ball, string, and fly include using incorrect or incomplete equations, forgetting to consider all the forces acting on the objects, and making assumptions that are not stated in the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, define all the variables, and double-check calculations to avoid making errors.