1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics problem

1. Aug 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem

A 3 kg object is moving in a plane with its x and y coordinates given by x = 5t^2 -1 and y = 3t^3 +2 where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Find the magnitude of the new force acting on this object at t= 2s

2. My attempt.

So my first attempt is to find a vector expression for acceleration. I integrated the expressions for x and y to give

V subx = 5/3 t^3 -t +c

To find the constant on integration I found the position of the particle at t=0 and t=2. Therefore calculating the velocity at 2 seconds. Thus the constant of integration for this expression is -4/3

The velocity at 2s being 10i+12j ms^-1

I have done the exact same process for velocity in the y direction and reached an expression for Vsuby .

My problem is I'm not sure how to get a valid expression for acceleration, and this seems like a really long winded way of answering this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2014 #2
    If you have an expression ##\mathbf{r}(t) = (x(t), y(t))## for position, wouldn't velocity be ##\dot{ \mathbf{r}}## and acceleration ##\ddot {\mathbf{r}}##?

4. Aug 1, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are you integrating? How are force and acceleration related? Define acceleration!

5. Aug 1, 2014 #4
    The net force on the object is the product of mass and acceleration. However I am being asked for the magnitude of the force on the object. I'm struggling to see how I can work with the expression for its displacement to get an expression for its acceleration so I can multiply its mass to get an expression for the net force

6. Aug 1, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How is the position related to velocity? How is velocity related to acceleration?

7. Aug 1, 2014 #6
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1406907739.713390.jpg

Got it! God I'm such a simpleton at times! I was inter grating when I should have been differentiating :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted