1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics - Projectiles

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    Q1. A world record for the shot putt of 23.12 m was set by Randy Barnes in Los Angeles in 1990. Estimate the speed at which the shot had to be projected to reach this distance, assuming that the shot was released at 45 degrees to the horizontal from a height of 2.2m above the ground. (The ground is horizontal).

Q2. If the mass of the shot in part A was 2kg, find the total work done on it by Barnes in picking it up and projecting it, assuming that it was at ground level before he picked it up.

2. h=1/2gt^2 S=ut + 1/2 at^2

3. I resolved the vectors into the x and y coordinates but i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong as the back of the book has an answer of 14 m/s for the first part.

Thanks anyways!

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Did you combine the x and y components of the velocity vector and find its magnitude?

Also, it'd be nice to show your work ;-) it's going to be hard to help you otherwise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook