1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics question - help please?

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Mechanics question - help please?

Hey, I've just signed up here, and not entirely sure if I'm posting in the right place. But I have a Mechanics question, which has confused me, so here goes:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bead of mass m is threaded onto a horizontal wire. When moving with speed u, the retarding force of air resistance is known to be ku^2 where k is a constant. Write down an equation of motion for the bead that describes the speed u in terms of the time t, and hence show that:

(m/u) = (m/u0) + kt

if u = u0 when t = 0.

2. Relevant equations

I guess F = ma ?

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the retarding force is given by ku^2 I tried letting a = (F/m) = (-ku^2)/m and then writing that u = u0 - (ktu^2)/m, because the speed should be the initial speed plus (acceleration x time) right? But when I re-arrange this equation to get something in terms of (m/u) it doesn't give me the right answer. Am I even on the right lines?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF raphile,

This is indeed the right place. I'll give you a hint: You have correctly determined the acceleration, however what you actually have is a differential equation,

[tex]a = \frac{du}{dt} = -\frac{ku^2}{m}[/tex]
    Last edited: May 11, 2008
  4. May 11, 2008 #3
    Thanks, I've got it now!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?