• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Mechanics question - help please?

• Thread starter raphile
  • Start date
[SOLVED] Mechanics question - help please?

Hey, I've just signed up here, and not entirely sure if I'm posting in the right place. But I have a Mechanics question, which has confused me, so here goes:

Homework Statement

A bead of mass m is threaded onto a horizontal wire. When moving with speed u, the retarding force of air resistance is known to be ku^2 where k is a constant. Write down an equation of motion for the bead that describes the speed u in terms of the time t, and hence show that:

(m/u) = (m/u0) + kt

if u = u0 when t = 0.

Homework Equations

I guess F = ma ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the retarding force is given by ku^2 I tried letting a = (F/m) = (-ku^2)/m and then writing that u = u0 - (ktu^2)/m, because the speed should be the initial speed plus (acceleration x time) right? But when I re-arrange this equation to get something in terms of (m/u) it doesn't give me the right answer. Am I even on the right lines?

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey, I've just signed up here, and not entirely sure if I'm posting in the right place. But I have a Mechanics question, which has confused me, so here goes:

Homework Statement

A bead of mass m is threaded onto a horizontal wire. When moving with speed u, the retarding force of air resistance is known to be ku^2 where k is a constant. Write down an equation of motion for the bead that describes the speed u in terms of the time t, and hence show that:

(m/u) = (m/u0) + kt

if u = u0 when t = 0.

Homework Equations

I guess F = ma ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the retarding force is given by ku^2 I tried letting a = (F/m) = (-ku^2)/m and then writing that u = u0 - (ktu^2)/m, because the speed should be the initial speed plus (acceleration x time) right? But when I re-arrange this equation to get something in terms of (m/u) it doesn't give me the right answer. Am I even on the right lines?
Welcome to PF raphile,

This is indeed the right place. I'll give you a hint: You have correctly determined the acceleration, however what you actually have is a differential equation,

[tex]a = \frac{du}{dt} = -\frac{ku^2}{m}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, I've got it now!