1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics question in 3D

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A parachutist jumps from a plane which is at position S = [0, 5000, 0] at time t = 0. The starting velocity of parachutist is v = [300, 0, 100] and we're assuming the parachutists falls like a particle with constant acceleration a = [2, -9.81, 0].

I need to find the parachutists position after 10 seconds.

2. Relevant equations
    the only equations i have here are the 3 for accelation under constant motion but these assume a one directional system.

3. The attempt at a solution
    i can't attempt a solution without knowing where i'm starting here with the 3 dimensions so if anyone could give me a hand with what equations i need to use then i should be good to go!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you know what happens in 1-D, you can easily generalize to 3-D. All you need to do is change symbols. The most general expressions for constant acceleration are

x(t) = xo+voxt + (1/2)axt2
    y(t) = yo+voyt + (1/2)ayt2
    z(t) = zo+vozt + (1/2)azt2

In 3-D the position of the parachutist at any time t is [x(t), y(t), z(t)].

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3
    thank you so much, that's perfect.

just didn't know if we we're dealing with angular velocity or something more complicated here.

cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook