1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics question

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the moment of the 90N force about point O for the condition theta=15 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

Moment= Force* perpendicular distance

3. The attempt at a solution

I am doing the first step

Fx= 90sin theta
    Fy= 90costheta

What i got was Moment= (Fx*0.8) + (Fy*0.6)= 72sintheta + 54costhetha

When I looked at the worked solution, they got a -Fx*0.8, i dont understand how the negative sign came about. Can you help out? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Clockwise moments are consider +, counterclockwise moments are considered -. Righthand rule.

4. Oct 18, 2007 #3

minger

Science Advisor

You need to look at your units as well. As an early student, write your units out for everything. Degrees/radians are unitless. All you have right now is a force times a unitless quantity, your resultant is N. You need Nm, which means you need to still multiply by a distance.

You were correct to take the sin/cos to find the horizontal and vertical components of the force, but you still need to multiply it by the distance from the center.

So, for the vertical direction:

M = -90N*cos(theta)*600mm*(1 m / 1000 mm) = x Nm

As Astro said, negative because of sign convention. Do the same for the other component, making sure its in the direction that you think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?