Calculate Speed of Clay Ball and 2kg Block After Collision

• Thread starter AZhang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the clay ball moves with a speed of 21 meters per second when it hits and sticks to the block. The block is compressed 0.4 meters due to the weight of the clay ball.
AZhang
A 2kg block is attached to an ideal spring (for which k = 200 N/m) and is initially at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface. A 100 gram ball of clay is thrown at the block. The clay is moving horizontally with speed V when it hits and sticks to the block. As a result, the pring is compressed a maximum distance of 0.4m.

a) Calculate the speed of the clay ball and 2kg block immediately after the clay sticks to the block but before the spring compresses significantly.

Ok, I kind of don't understand how the set-up is supposed to look like, so if someone can do ths problem, can they explain to me why they set it up the way they did?

Physics news on Phys.org
hello :D
The setup according to me is as -- http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g448/vissh/?action=view&current=temp.jpg"
See the pic and try to solve urself :D If by chance not able , see below [my answer might contain some mistake as i am too a learner :) ]

The box and spring are ideal as you said , so this will mean spring is uncompressed and unexpanded. Next, the clay is moving horizontly with velocity V (let). On collision,they stick with each other and move together thereafter [so i stick clay and box and let they acquired velocity v' as a new body of mass 2+0.1 = 2.1kg .]
By law of conservation of momentum,
2*0 + 0.1*V = 2.1*v'
=> V = 21*v'
The box+sticken clay as system
- Change in K.E. [from uncompressed to compressed spring]= 0 -(1/2)*(2.1)(v')2
............. =-(1/2)*(2.1)(v')2
- Work done by spring on system = -(1/2)kx2
........ = -(1/2)*200*(0.4)(0.4)
The net force on system is only of spring and thus By using work energy theorem (with the box+sticken clay as system):-
change in K.E. = Work done by spring
On solving you will get the answer :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little confused. Could you elaborate?

What is the formula for calculating speed after a collision?

The formula for calculating speed after a collision is v = (m1u1 + m2u2) / (m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities of the objects.

How do I determine the masses of the clay ball and 2kg block?

You can determine the masses of the clay ball and 2kg block by using a scale or balance. Place each object on the scale and record their masses in kilograms.

What units should be used for the masses and velocities in the formula?

The masses should be in kilograms (kg) and the velocities should be in meters per second (m/s) in order to get the final velocity in meters per second.

What other factors should be considered when calculating the speed after a collision?

Other factors that should be considered when calculating speed after a collision include the type of collision (elastic or inelastic), the angle of impact, and any external forces acting on the objects.

Can this formula be used for any type of collision?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of collision as long as the masses and initial velocities are known and the objects are in a closed system with no external forces acting on them.