Solve Mechanics Questions: Velocity, Position & Frictionless Plane

• Thread starter Homophome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the rock falls faster the higher it starts up and the more time it takes to fall, and it falls to a height of 1960 meters after falling for 8.8 seconds.
Homophome
Hi, this is my first post. My teacher gave us some very "hard" homework questions:
Alright: The first question concerns a car moving with acceleration [tex]5t^{2}[/tex] and initial velocity 4 m/s.

a) what is it's velicity at time t?

b) what is it's position at time t?

c) How far has it gone after time t=pi seconds.

2)

a) Assume I have a frictionless plane inclined at pi/2 radians and a box 6 ft up the plane, how long does it take to fall?

b) Assuming the rock took ten seconds to fall, how high did it start up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey!

I remember doing homework with questions like these!

a) Remember, an object's velocity is simply the integral of its accelleration.
So, the integral of 5t^2 is 5/3t^3 + c.
v=5/3t^3 + c.

b) Like the first question, the objects position at time t is the integral of its
velocity, so the position of the object is 5/12t^4 + t + initial position.
d=5/12t^4+t+c.

c) Just use pi in place of t in the position equation.
d=5/12pi^4+pi+c.2.
a) Since a 'ramp' at pi/2 radians is vertical, you can calculate how long the rock
takes to fall using the accelleration of gravity=9.8 m/s^2.
6 = 1/2 * 9.8 * t^2
12 = 9.8 * t^2
12/9.8 = t^2
t = (12/8.8)^1/2 s.

b) height = 1/2 * 9.8 * 10^2
height = 2 * 9.8 * 100
height = 1960 m.

I hope that helps!

Your first answer isn't what it says in my teachers manual... But thanks anyways.

Oh crap! Your right, I forgot the +c. Editing to fix it...

Thanks a lot, I don't trust this manual anyways.

Homophome said:
Thanks a lot, I don't trust this manual anyways.

Haha, yeah, you have to think for yourself sometimes!
No problem.

Edit: Your asnwers don't work... sorry. : (. Also, webassign requires me to graph position vs. time, could you draw me a graph?

Homophome said:
Edit: Your asnwers don't work... sorry. : (. Also, webassign requires me to graph position vs. time, could you draw me a graph?
What? I thought they were right. Maybe double check your variables and that you are typing things in right?
I'm not going to draw a graph, but for the second one with the falling rock, it will look like a decreasing quadratic function. Check my attached graph (not exact... ms paint lol!) for what it may look like if you zoom into the right spot. It will be a decreasing parabala centered on the x=zero.

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 371
Where are the units on that graph? It looks like a kid drew that! Not helpful at all. Can someone please help me?!??!

1. What is the difference between velocity and position in mechanics?

Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position over time, while position refers to the location of an object in space at a particular moment.

2. How do you calculate velocity in mechanics?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the time it took for the change to occur. This can be represented by the formula v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is a frictionless plane in mechanics?

A frictionless plane is a hypothetical surface that has no resistance or friction, allowing an object to move without any external forces acting against it. It is often used in mechanics problems as a simplified scenario to study the effects of forces on an object's motion.

4. How does friction affect an object's motion on a frictionless plane?

On a frictionless plane, there is no external force acting against an object's motion, so it will continue to move with a constant velocity. However, if there is friction present, it will act as a force opposing the object's motion, causing it to slow down or stop.

5. What are some real-life applications of mechanics principles?

Mechanics principles are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and even sports. Some examples of real-life applications include designing structures and machines, understanding the motion of vehicles, and analyzing the movements of athletes in sports such as skiing or skateboarding.