1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics Question

1. May 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass m with velocity v0 makes an inelastic collision with second mass M that is suspended by a string of length L. The velocity v0 is perpendicular to the vertical string. After the collision the combined masses, m+M, rotate in a vertical plane around the point of suspension of the string. Find the minimum value v0 such that the string remains always under tension for a complete rotation.

2. Relevant equations
    ∑Fr=mv2/r
    T=1/2mv2
    U=mgh

3. The attempt at a solution
    The condition for the an inflexible string to remain under tension is that it never goes slack, i.e. length=L for the entire rotation.

Since the collision is inelastic, momentum is conserved while kinetic energy is not. So,

mv0=(m+M)v' where v' is the magnitude of the x-directed velocity of the combined masses (m+M) after the collision. so v'=m/(m+M)v0.

At the bottom of the vertical circle (In Polar Coordinates),
    letting m'=(m+M)

∑Fr= Tb-m'g=m'v'2/L (*)

At the top,

∑Fr=Tt+m'g=m'v''2/L (**)

Using Energy,

1/2m'v'2=1/2m'v''2+m'g(2L) (***)
    v'2=v''2+4gL

v''2=v'2-4gL

I am going to pause here to see if there is anything I am missing.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track. Find v'', then v', then v0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted