Solve Mechanics Question: Find Acceleration, Final Speed, & Average Speed

• Thread starter Pseudo Statistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation is about a homework assignment involving finding the acceleration, final speed, and average speed of a ball rolling down a ramp. The formula used is a = s/t^2 and the correct value is calculated for acceleration. There is confusion about whether to use the same formula for final speed and average speed, with the correct formula being (u + V)/2 and not at^2. It is clarified that both formulas will give the same result if the acceleration is constant.
Pseudo Statistic
This was one of my homework assignments...
I wanted to know if my steps taken are correct.
Thanks for any feedback.

A ball rols down a ramp and travels a distance of 3.00 m in 2.05 seconds. Find (a) what is the ball's acceleration? (b) what is the ball's final speed at the bottom of the ramp? And (c) what is the ball's average speed going down the ramp?
(a) I thought I'd use the formula a = s/t^2 where s = distance, 3m, and t = time, 2.05s.
(b) I thought I'd multiply what I've gotten for acceleration by 2.05s... or is this a conceptual thing where it's assumably 0? I don't know...
(c) Average speed I'm guessing is the same as (b).

Physics news on Phys.org
s = (1/2)at^2 not at^2

average speed is (u + V)/2

mukundpa said:
s = (1/2)at^2 not at^2

average speed is (u + V)/2
Oh, OK...
I get the 0.5at^2 part, but isn't average speed total displacement over total time rather than the arithmetic mean of the 2 velocities? :\

yes, if the acceleration is constant both will give the same result.

1. What is acceleration in mechanics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How do you find acceleration in a mechanics problem?

To find acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time elapsed. The formula for acceleration is (final velocity - initial velocity) / time elapsed. Make sure to use consistent units for all values.

3. What is final speed in mechanics?

Final speed, also known as final velocity, is the speed an object is moving at a specific moment in time. It is a vector quantity and is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. How do you calculate final speed in a mechanics problem?

To calculate final speed, you need to know the initial velocity, acceleration, and time elapsed. The formula for final speed is initial velocity + (acceleration x time elapsed). Again, make sure to use consistent units for all values.

5. What is average speed in mechanics?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time elapsed. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and not direction, and is measured in meters per second (m/s).