1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics-related car question

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    Hey,

I have been set this question and I thought I'd answered it perfectly but it turns out I haven't:

A person driving her car at 43 km/h approaches an intersection just as the traffic light turns yellow. She knows that the yellow light lasts only 2.0 s before turning to red, and she is 30 m away from the near side of the intersection. The intersection is 15 m wide. Her car can accelerate from 43 km/h to 70 km/h in 8.1 s. Ignore the length of her car and her reaction time. If she hits the gas, how far will she travel before the light turns red?

[​IMG]

I decided to use s = ut + ½at² as it seemd the most appropriate, here's what I got:

s = distance travelled = unknown
    u = initial speed = 43km/h = 11.944m/s
    t = time = 2.0s
    a = acceleration = (70km/h - 43km/h) / 8.1s = 3.333m/s/s

s = (11.944 x 2) + (½ x 3.333 x 2.0²)
    s = 23.888 + 6.666
    s = 30.555m

So I got the distance travelled by the car in the 2 seconds before the light turned red if the driver sped up to be 30.555m but my teacher tells me this is wrong...anyone know why?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2
    The acceleration is wrong. You need to use the same units for all variables.

- Kamataat

4. Nov 1, 2005 #3
    Yes, this is just an error in your units. I didn't pay attention as I thought you did the conversion, but Kamataat is right.

Anyway, accelerating from 43 to 70 km/h in 8.1s is way slower than an acceleration of 3.3 m/s² (i didn't do the math though)

I think just doing the right conversion as Kamataat said should work. Did your teacher give you the correct answer?

Kyon.

5. Nov 1, 2005 #4
    Ah thanks a lot, I solved it correctly now. Just had to convert the acceleration from 3.333km/h/s to 0.98m/s/s. Thanks again guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?