Mechanics-related car question

• Thread starter lando45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a person driving and approaching an intersection with a yellow light. The person needs to calculate how far she will travel before the light turns red if she accelerates from 43 km/h to 70 km/h in 8.1 s. The conversation includes a summary of the equation used and the mistake made in the calculation, which was due to an error in the units. This resulted in the incorrect answer, but it was corrected by converting the units correctly.
lando45
Hey,

I have been set this question and I thought I'd answered it perfectly but it turns out I haven't:

A person driving her car at 43 km/h approaches an intersection just as the traffic light turns yellow. She knows that the yellow light lasts only 2.0 s before turning to red, and she is 30 m away from the near side of the intersection. The intersection is 15 m wide. Her car can accelerate from 43 km/h to 70 km/h in 8.1 s. Ignore the length of her car and her reaction time. If she hits the gas, how far will she travel before the light turns red?

2_29.gif

I decided to use s = ut + ½at² as it seemd the most appropriate, here's what I got:

s = distance traveled = unknown
u = initial speed = 43km/h = 11.944m/s
t = time = 2.0s
a = acceleration = (70km/h - 43km/h) / 8.1s = 3.333m/s/s

s = (11.944 x 2) + (½ x 3.333 x 2.0²)
s = 23.888 + 6.666
s = 30.555m

So I got the distance traveled by the car in the 2 seconds before the light turned red if the driver sped up to be 30.555m but my teacher tells me this is wrong...anyone know why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration is wrong. You need to use the same units for all variables.

- Kamataat

Yes, this is just an error in your units. I didn't pay attention as I thought you did the conversion, but Kamataat is right.

Anyway, accelerating from 43 to 70 km/h in 8.1s is way slower than an acceleration of 3.3 m/s² (i didn't do the math though)

I think just doing the right conversion as Kamataat said should work. Did your teacher give you the correct answer?

Kyon.

Ah thanks a lot, I solved it correctly now. Just had to convert the acceleration from 3.333km/h/s to 0.98m/s/s. Thanks again guys.

What is the difference between torque and horsepower?

Torque and horsepower are both measurements of a car's engine power, but they measure different aspects. Torque measures the rotational force of the engine, while horsepower measures the rate at which work is done. In simpler terms, torque is the force that gets the car moving, while horsepower is the power that keeps it moving.

How do I know when to change my car's oil?

It is recommended to change your car's oil every 3,000-5,000 miles, or every 3-6 months. However, this can vary depending on the make and model of your car. Check your car's manual for specific recommendations. Signs that your car needs an oil change include dark, dirty oil, low oil level, and strange engine noises.

What does it mean when my car is making a strange noise?

There can be many reasons for strange noises in your car, and it is important to get it checked by a mechanic. Some common causes of car noises include worn out brake pads, loose belts, or damaged suspension components. Ignoring strange noises can lead to more serious and costly issues in the future.

How do I know if my car needs new brakes?

There are a few signs that indicate your car may need new brakes. These include squeaking or grinding noises when braking, a spongy or soft brake pedal, and vibrations or pulsations when braking. It is important to get your brakes checked regularly and replace them when necessary for your safety and the safety of others on the road.

How often should I rotate my tires?

It is recommended to rotate your tires every 5,000-7,000 miles, or every 6 months. This helps to evenly distribute wear and tear on the tires, prolonging their lifespan. However, this may vary depending on your driving habits and the type of tires you have. Consult your car's manual for specific recommendations.