Mechanics - Relative Tension

In summary, two students, A and B, are connected by a rope passing over a pulley. A is on the floor and B is suspended above the floor. Question (d) asks if A is pulled upward off the floor as B accelerates at .25 m/s^2. The answer is no, as the acceleration is too small. Question (e) asks for the minimum acceleration needed for B to lift A off the floor. This is found by calculating the difference between A's weight and the tension on B, which is produced when B climbs. The answer is 1.6 m/s^2.
metalmagik
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6969/physicsproblemhq3.png

A rope of negligible mass passes over a pulley of negligible mass attached to the ceiling as shown above. One end of the rope is held by Student A of mass 70 kg, who is at rest on the floor. The opposite end of the rope is held by Student B of mass 60 kg, who is suspended at rest above the floor.

The first 2 questions asked for simple calculations, but now questions (d) and (e) ask:

(d) As Student B is accelerating at .25 m/s^2, is Student A pulled upward off the floor? Justify your answer.

Now I do not quite understand this..I guess it makes sense since the acceleration is so small, it doesn't have enough Fnet to make Student A go upwards. But (e) is as follows:

With what minimum acceleration must Student B climb up the rope to lift Student A upward off the floor?

I do not understand how to calculate this. I have the answer as 1.6 m/s^2 as per my teacher's key. If anyone could explain how to arrive at this answer please help me out! I have completed FBDs for these two Students so it would be fine to speak to me in terms of the forces. Thanks to anyone who could help me with this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What tension is produced in the rope when Student B climbs? How much tension is needed to lift Student A?

AH i just got it. thanks for the response, I realized ForceNET. So I took the difference of Student A's weight and the tension on Student B and got acceleration from that. Thanks.

What is mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of physical bodies when subjected to forces or displacements, and the subsequent motion and deformation that these bodies undergo.

What is relative tension?

Relative tension is the force that is applied to an object as a result of an external force acting on the object. It is the difference between the external force and the internal forces within the object that opposes the external force.

What are the factors that affect relative tension?

The factors that affect relative tension are the magnitude of the external force, the type of material the object is made of, the shape and size of the object, and the direction of the force.

How is relative tension calculated?

Relative tension is calculated by taking the difference between the external force and the internal forces within the object. This can be represented mathematically as T = Fext - Fint, where T is the relative tension, Fext is the external force, and Fint is the internal force.

What are some real-life applications of relative tension?

Relative tension is used in many areas of engineering, such as structural mechanics, where it helps determine the strength and stability of structures. It is also used in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures to ensure they can withstand external forces such as wind and earthquakes. Additionally, relative tension is important in understanding the mechanics of materials, such as in the development of new materials for various industries.