1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics & Relativity

1. Apr 17, 2006 #1
    I'm having 2 problems.... with two questions...

1) A spaceship travels with a constant speed 0.8c as it passes over Earth; some time after passint Earth, the pilor shoots a laser pulse backward at a speed of 3 x 10^8 meters per second with respect to the spaceship. Determine the speed of the laser pulse as measured by a person on Earth.

What does relativity say about stuff like this involving things travelling at the speed of light? Would it be 0.8 c - 3 x 10 ^8? Or is that incorrect?

2) There's a question with a diagram like this:
    [​IMG]
    Blocks 1 and 2 of masses m1 and m2 respectively are connected by a light string, as shown above. These blocks are further connected to a block of mass M by another light string that passes over a pulley of negligible mass and friction. Blocks 1 and 2 move with a constant velocity v down the inclined plane, which makes an angle theta with the horizontal. The kinetic frictional force on block 1 is f and that on block 2 is 2f.

Normally I know how to do these questions but I'm having one little problem- how do I analyze the forces on m1 and m2? I mean, since they're moving down the incline at constant velocity, they're in dynamic equilibrium which means the sum of all forces = 0 and in m2's case I'm thinking the forces would be:
    m2 g sin theta - 2f - T = 0 ??? And on m1, m1 g sin theta - f = 0 and T - Mg = 0? But does m1 or m2 exert a force on the other or something?
    I don't know, I guess I never really understood Newton's third law...

Can someone please clarify? Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the fundamental principle of special relativity? That in *any* inertial frame the speed of light is always equal to c, no?

Pat

4. Apr 17, 2006 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are *two* ropes in the problem and the tension in each rope is not (necessarily) the same. Your equation for m2 should be m2 g sin theta - 2f - T_1 +T_2 = 0 and so on.

5. Apr 17, 2006 #4
    So the answer is 3 x 10^8 in this case?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?