Resolving Forces: Solving for Unknowns in Mechanics Problems

In summary, the Homework Statement says that the normal reaction force by the planes acts in a direction perpendicular to the planes. The person is struggling with question 6 and 7, and needs basic help to get started. They need to find the angles between the vectors, and resolve the "2g" vector using trigonometry in such a way that the vectors balance each other out.
studentxlol

Homework Statement

fIfVQ.jpg

I'm struggling with question 6 and 7 on this exercise. I have no idea where to start so basic help would be needed to get me started.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In what direction would the normal reaction force by the planes act?
Can you resolve the weight vector to make sure that it balances the normal reaction vector?

need diagrams and need you to show your work before we can help.

I don't see any reason not to type up that question, other than if you were including a diagram which you didn't anyway. If you're going to ask people for help you could at least make it as easy to help as possible instead of making us all crane our necks with a sideways photograph...

jedishrfu said:
need diagrams and need you to show your work before we can help.

Here's a better pic.

n5YC1.jpg

For question 6, I need to go about finding the normal contact forces P and Q. How do I do that with the info I know?

Try finding the angles between the vectors, then resolve the "2g" vector using trigonometry in such a way that the vectors balance each other out.

AlchemistK said:
Try finding the angles between the vectors, then resolve the "2g" vector using trigonometry in such a way that the vectors balance each other out.

No idea how to do that,

well what is the angle of P relative to the horizontal? 40 degrees plus 90 degrees right?

jedishrfu said:
well what is the angle of P relative to the horizontal? 40 degrees plus 90 degrees right?

No good. I need full method.

studentxlol said:
No good. I need full method.

sorry we can't give you the answer you have to work it out for yourself. you can show us the work and we'll tell you where you went wrong.

jedishrfu said:
sorry we can't give you the answer you have to work it out for yourself. you can show us the work and we'll tell you where you went wrong.

resolve horizontally, to get an equation for P in terms of Q, let it be (1).

Now resolve vertically, to get another equation in terms of P and Q. Now substitute (1) in this equation to find Q.

So have now got Q, with this i can easily find P by substituting the value of Q in any of the equation.

And as i said before, i don't know if it is the right way, because i haven't came across such a question before.

1. What is the difference between a balanced and unbalanced force?

A balanced force is when the forces acting on an object are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero. An unbalanced force is when the forces acting on an object are unequal in magnitude, resulting in a net force that causes the object to accelerate.

2. How do you determine the resultant force of multiple forces acting on an object?

To determine the resultant force, you must first resolve each force into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, add all the horizontal components together and all the vertical components together. The resultant force is the vector sum of these two components.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and vector quantity in mechanics?

A scalar quantity has only magnitude, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities in mechanics include distance, speed, and mass, while examples of vector quantities include displacement, velocity, and force.

4. Can forces be added or subtracted?

Yes, forces can be added or subtracted using vector addition and subtraction. When adding forces, the direction and magnitude of each force must be taken into account. When subtracting forces, the direction and magnitude of the force being subtracted must be reversed.

5. How do you determine the equilibrium of an object?

An object is in equilibrium when the net force acting on it is zero. This can be determined by resolving all the forces acting on the object and adding them together. If the resultant force is zero, the object is in equilibrium. Additionally, an object is in equilibrium if it is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.