1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics statics problem

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Homogeneous cube with one edge lying on the floor and the other on a smooth vertical wall. The underside of cube with a horizontal surface makes angle of [tex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex].What is the value to the coefficient of friction between the cube and the floor to cube remain in balance.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\sum F=0[/tex]
    [tex]\sum M=0[/tex]
    [tex]M=rF[/tex]
    M is momentum of force.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In static case

[tex]\sum F=0[/tex]
    [tex]\sum M=0[/tex]
    I need help to write this equation from the problem statement. I don't have idea.
    Because cube is homogenuous the forces are equal from all parts I suppose.

My assymption is that [tex]r[/tex] is size of cube so [tex]a[/tex]. Do you have any idea? I think this goes in one line but it is hard for me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2
    Any help?

I think that this is picture

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Here is a picture

Attached Files:

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4
    How to define [tex]\sum M=0[/tex]?

6. Apr 23, 2012 #5
    Um ... momentum of force ... ?

If [itex]\displaystyle M=r\cdot F[/itex], then [itex]\displaystyle\sum\left(M\right)=r\cdot\sum\left(F \right)[/itex], and so, as r≠0, [itex]\displaystyle\sum\left(F\right)=0[/itex], which we already knew. That's the equivalent of just no net force being applied.

7. Apr 23, 2012 #6
    I mean in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook