Finding the Coefficient of Friction for a Homogeneous Cube in Static Equilibrium

In summary, the problem involves a homogeneous cube with one edge on the floor and one on a smooth vertical wall. The underside of the cube makes an angle of \frac{\pi}{6} with the horizontal surface. The value of the coefficient of friction between the cube and the floor must be determined in order for the cube to remain in balance. The equations used are \sum F=0, \sum M=0, and M=rF, where M represents the momentum of force and r is the size of the cube. The assumption is that the forces from all parts of the cube are equal due to its homogeneity. The equation \sum M=0 can be defined as r\cdot\sum(F)=0, indicating that
matematikuvol

Homework Statement

Homogeneous cube with one edge lying on the floor and the other on a smooth vertical wall. The underside of cube with a horizontal surface makes angle of [tex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex].What is the value to the coefficient of friction between the cube and the floor to cube remain in balance.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum F=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum M=0[/tex]
[tex]M=rF[/tex]
M is momentum of force.

The Attempt at a Solution

In static case

[tex]\sum F=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum M=0[/tex]
I need help to write this equation from the problem statement. I don't have idea.
Because cube is homogenuous the forces are equal from all parts I suppose.

My assymption is that [tex]r[/tex] is size of cube so [tex]a[/tex]. Do you have any idea? I think this goes in one line but it is hard for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help?

I think that this is picture

Last edited:
Here is a picture

Attachments

• cube.JPG
    cube.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 385
How to define [tex]\sum M=0[/tex]?

Um ... momentum of force ... ?

If [itex]\displaystyle M=r\cdot F[/itex], then [itex]\displaystyle\sum\left(M\right)=r\cdot\sum\left(F \right)[/itex], and so, as r≠0, [itex]\displaystyle\sum\left(F\right)=0[/itex], which we already knew. That's the equivalent of just no net force being applied.

I mean in this case.

1. What is Mechanics Statics?

Mechanics Statics is a branch of classical mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. This includes analyzing forces acting on an object and their effects on its equilibrium.

2. What are the key concepts in Mechanics Statics?

The key concepts in Mechanics Statics include equilibrium, forces, torque, and moments. These concepts are used to analyze the behavior of objects in a state of rest or constant motion.

3. How do you solve a Mechanics Statics problem?

To solve a Mechanics Statics problem, you must first identify the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use the principles of equilibrium and apply them to the object to determine the unknown forces or other parameters.

4. What are the common types of Mechanics Statics problems?

Common types of Mechanics Statics problems include finding the equilibrium of a stationary object, determining the forces required to keep an object in equilibrium, and analyzing the forces acting on a structure.

5. What are some real-world applications of Mechanics Statics?

Mechanics Statics has many real-world applications, including bridge design, building construction, and understanding the forces acting on a car or airplane in motion. It is also used in the design of machines and structures to ensure they are safe and stable.