How to Calculate Tension in a Rope on an Inclined Surface with Two Unknowns

• Thread starter bob4000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, The conversation includes a query about a toboggan being pulled up a snow-covered hill and the tension in the rope being greater than 52.5N. There is a hint to consider the forces parallel to the hill and to draw a free body diagram. The conversation also mentions friction as a factor and suggests ignoring it to find the minimum tension needed. The final response mentions a correct free body diagram and clarifies that friction was not mentioned initially.
bob4000
dear reader

i have this query which i have not been able to tackle, even after many attempts. i have also consulted my teacher but to no avail. (by the way, this is not actually homework, just work i decided to do).

a toboggan of mass 20kg is pulled, with rope, up a snow-covered hill inclined at 15deg to the horizontal. the rope is inclined at 30 deg to the horizontal. explain why the tension in the rope must certainly be greater than 52.5N. could you please show step-by-step instructions with an answer preferably, just so i know how to apply this technique in the future. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Our policy here is for you to do the work! But we'll be glad to help.

Hint: Consider the forces parallel to the hill. Include the components of rope tension and the toboggan's weight. (I assume there is no friction.)

Give it a try. (Why do you say "two unknowns" in the title?)

With problems like this I always make my coordinate system parallel with the incline. For me that seems to help. Perhaps you too.

Draw a free body diagram before you do anything. Like DocAl mentioned, there are not two unknowns in this problem.

there is friction, which is why i don't know how to work it out (friction is unknown)

have drawn the diagram, but didnt really help

bob4000 said:
there is friction, which is why i don't know how to work it out (friction is unknown)
Well you can always ignore the friction. See what the minimum tension is without friction... maybe that's all you need. (Friction will just add to the tension.)

So... ignoring friction, what forces act on the toboggan? And what are the components parallel to the slope?

thanks to all who contributed. keep up the good work

If my FBD is correct, the force required without friction is higher than the limit posted.

You didn't mention anything about friction in the original question!

What is "Mechanics with two unknowns"?

Mechanics with two unknowns is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and forces of objects with two unknown variables, such as position, velocity, acceleration, and forces. It involves using mathematical equations and principles to solve for the unknown variables.

Why do we use mechanics with two unknowns?

Mechanics with two unknowns is used to accurately describe and predict the motion and behavior of objects in the real world. It allows us to understand the forces and interactions between objects and how they affect each other's motion. This is crucial in fields such as engineering and design.

What are some common examples of mechanics with two unknowns?

Some common examples of mechanics with two unknowns include projectile motion, collisions, and pulley systems. These scenarios involve two unknown variables, such as initial velocity and acceleration, that can be solved using mathematical equations and principles.

How do we solve problems in mechanics with two unknowns?

To solve problems in mechanics with two unknowns, we first identify the unknown variables and gather any given information, such as initial conditions or known forces. We then use equations such as Newton's laws of motion and kinematic equations to solve for the unknown variables. It is important to draw diagrams and use proper units and significant figures in our calculations.

What are some challenges in mechanics with two unknowns?

Some challenges in mechanics with two unknowns include dealing with non-ideal situations, such as friction and air resistance, which can affect the motion of objects. It is also important to properly identify and account for all forces acting on the object to accurately solve for the unknown variables. Additionally, understanding and applying the correct equations and principles can be challenging for some students.