How does the child safety lock on a drawer work?

• Thread starter pikachoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the conversation discussed a unique drawer with a mechanism that requires pressing a button to open it. There were also suggestions for designing a similar mechanism without using a ratchet and pawl. The drawer was found in a school lab and the conversation was part of an engineering assignment. Possible solutions included a lever or magnetic latch, but it was difficult to come up with a non-ratchet and pawl option.
pikachoo
recently, i saw this drawer where you have to press something on a part of the drawer then you can take the things inside the drawer. if not, it is impossible to open the drawer.

May I know what kind of mechanism is behind it?

secondly anyone got any idea on how to design a mechanism that allows rotation in one direction and CAN’T use ratchet & pawl cause i really got no diea on how to start this... (there is not any fixed answer, it should be quite brief and simplified)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you give more specific info on the drawer. Was is part of a desk? in the kitchen? a bedroom dresser? under a car seat?

What kinds of things were placed in it?

Is this an assignment for an engineering mechanics class?

i foudn this drawer in my school lab, where we keep all those tools beside the machine.
basically, just hold a button and then you can open the drawer..this is an assignment under introduction to engineering. somehow a bit of mechanics caused we were taught cams,belts all this to start with it but i really got no idea what to use...

sounds like our drawer has a child safety lock on it. It may work using a lever where pressing the button disengages the lever from the drawer sliding mechanism allowing you to pull it open.

Another mechanism I've seen are magnetic latches where you press once to pop the latch and you can open the door. Pressing the door closed pushes the latch in and the magnet holds it shut.

As far as not using a ratchet and pawl, I couldn't think of anything nor find anything online. PErhaps using angled brushes surrounding the rod and some ridges on the rod but that's just a micro version of a ratchet and pawl.

1. How does a drawer open and close?

The mechanism behind a drawer involves a set of tracks and rollers. When the drawer is pulled, the rollers move along the tracks, allowing the drawer to slide open. When the drawer is pushed back in, the rollers retract and the drawer slides closed.

2. What are the different types of drawer mechanisms?

Some common types of drawer mechanisms include wooden slides, ball-bearing slides, and undermount slides. Each type has its own unique design and function, but they all work to allow the drawer to open and close smoothly.

3. How do you repair a broken drawer mechanism?

The first step in repairing a broken drawer mechanism is to identify the issue. It could be as simple as tightening loose screws or replacing worn-out rollers. If the issue is more complex, it may require replacing the entire mechanism or seeking professional help.

4. Can the mechanism of a drawer be customized?

Yes, the mechanism of a drawer can be customized to fit specific needs or preferences. For example, soft-closing mechanisms can be installed to prevent drawers from slamming shut. There are also options for different weight capacities and styles of slides.

5. How do drawer mechanisms contribute to the overall functionality of furniture?

The mechanism of a drawer is essential for the smooth operation and functionality of furniture. A well-designed drawer mechanism allows for easy access to items stored in the drawer and ensures that it stays securely closed when not in use. It also helps to distribute weight evenly and prevent damage to the drawer or furniture frame.