Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanism of meiotic drive

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Meiotic spindle asymmetry and functional differences between the centromeres of homologous chromosomes and recombinant/nonrecombinant chromatids have been shown to result in non-random segregation during meiosis (meiotic drive)".

Does anyone know how this works? How would one chromosome be selected by the spindle and is this common (it would lead to non-mendelian inheritance of traits).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2
    just a thought....

what if the certain centromere and the specific meiotic spindle had protiens analogous to each other, maybe not protien at all though because chromatids and eukaryotic DNA in general are all bound to the histone protein(correct me if i'm wrong please).

Just like some enzymes pick between which bases to apply during replication, could there be enzymes that choose which connection piece the spindle has, and that piece determines where the chromatid is placed. in the cellular matrix.

This idea would fall apart however if the meiotic spindle never actually bonds with the centromere, just entangles it.:frown:

...can't say i didn't try...:smile:

4. Feb 1, 2007 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?